For more information, please call 713-441-8900.
Kidney transplant physicians »
Download our brochure »
Kidney Annual Report »
The Methodist J.C. Walter Jr. Transplant Center has one of the largest kidney transplant programs in Texas, with the best patient outcomes of any program in the Texas Medical Center.
In 2012 alone, Houston Methodist surgeons performed 186 kidney transplant surgeries—nearly three times our total from just a few years ago—including 63 from living donors.
At the Houston Methodist, kidney transplant patients can expect the most compassionate, comprehensive treatment possible, from a team that’s committed to caring for the whole patient—body, mind and spirit. To learn about our current transplant clinical trials, click here.
Why Houston Methodist for kidney transplants?
- One of the largest kidney transplant centers in Texas
- Dedicated, staffed referral center
- Rapid listing on the UNOS national transplant waiting list
- A groundbreaking single-port laparoscopic approach that allows donor kidney removal with one small incision
- Houston’s longest-running donor swap program and a participant in the national donor swap program
- 91.4% of our kidney transplant patients rated our service as “exceptional” and would recommend us to others
- Consistently ranked as one of America’s Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for treatment of kidney disorders
- Dawn Dupree traveled all the way from England to have her kidney transplant at Houston Methodist.
- Marcy Shipp saved three lives by donating a kidney through the Houston Methodist donor swap program.
- Candace Wathan, who had suffered from diabetes since childhood, got a new lease on life through a kidney-pancreas transplant.
- Kenneth King received the most loving and life-changing gift a spouse could give: a new kidney from his wife, Angie.