6550 Fannin Street
Smith Tower Suite 1401
Houston, TX 77030
Education - Jean Bismuth, M.D., Ch.B., R.V.T., F.A.C.S.
- Copenhagen University Panum Instituttet, Copenhagen, Denmark
- The Brooklyn Hospital Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Gentofte University Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Areas of Excellence
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery in the areas of:
- Aortic Disease
- Mesenteric Disease
- Carotid Disease
- Venous Disease
- Lower Extremity Occlusive Disease
- Dialysis Access, Arterial and Venous Malformations
- Vascular Surgery Robotics
- Vascular Surgery Imaging
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Atherosclerosis Plaque Morphology
- Preventive and Medical Interventions in Vascular Surgery
Danish, French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish
Biography - Jean Bismuth, M.D.
Jean Bismuth, M.D., is an Assistant Professor at the Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas. He received his medical degree from Copenhagen University in Copenhagen, Denmark and completed his surgical residency at The Brooklyn Hospital Center. Subsequently, he completed his Vascular Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
His clinical interests include the treatment of patients with aortic disease, carotid disease, mesenteric disease, venous disease, and lower extremity occlusive disease. He also has expertise in dialysis access and arterial and venous malformations.
As a recipient of the Dyer Fellowship Award, Dr. Bismuth has focused his research interests on Vascular Surgery Robotics, Imaging and Computational Fluid Dynamics. Another major area of interest includes vascular surgical training and simulation development.
Dr. Bismuth's other research interests include the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, Preventive and Medical Interventions in Vascular Surgery.
Dr. Bismuth is a member of a number of societies including The Society for Vascular Surgery, American College of Surgeons, American Medical Association, The Michael E. DeBakey International Surgical Society, The Danish Medical Association, and the Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society.
- Karmonik C, Bismuth J, Davies MG, Lumsden AB. Computational hemodynamics in the human aorta: a computational fluid dynamics study of three cases with patient-specific geometries and inflow rates. Technol Health Care. 2008; 16(5):343-54.
- Garami ZF, Bismuth J, Charlton-Ouw KM, Davies MG, Peden EK, Lumsden AB. Feasibility of simultaneous pre- and postfilter transcranial Doppler monitoring during carotid artery stenting. J Vasc Surg. 2009 Feb; 49(2):340-4, 345.e1-2; discussion 345. [PubMed-in process]
- Davies MG, Saad WA, Bismuth J, Peden EK, Naoum JJ, Lumsden AB. Outcomes of endoluminal reintervention for restenosis after percutaneous renal angioplasty and stenting. J Vasc Surg. 2009 Apr; 49(4):946-52. Epub 2009 Feb 14.
- Bismuth J, Kofoed SC, Jensen AS, Sethi A, Sillesen H. Serum lipids act as inverse acute phase reactants and are falsely low in patients with critical limb ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2002 Nov;36(5):1005-10.
- Bismuth J, Lin P, Yao Q, Chen C. Ceramide: a common pathway for atherosclerosis? Atherosclerosis. 2008 Feb;196(2):497-504. Epub 2007 Oct 25. Review.