Make an Appointment
To make an appointment call 713-790-2700 complete our online registration form.
What Is Triple Negative Breast Cancer?
Recent research explains that breast cancer is not one form of cancer, but many different subtypes. These subtypes of breast cancer are generally diagnosed based upon the presence, or lack of, three receptors known to fuel most breast cancers:
- Estrogen receptors
- Progesterone receptors
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)
In women with triple negative breast cancer, none of these receptors are found. In other words, a triple negative breast cancer diagnosis means that the tumor is estrogen receptor–negative, progesterone receptor–negative and HER2–negative. Depending on when it’s diagnosed, triple negative breast cancer can be extremely aggressive and more likely to recur than other subtypes of breast cancer.
About the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Clinic
Methodist Cancer Center created the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Clinic to integrate all the care for women with triple negative breast cancer. Each treatment is tailored to the individual patient according to the genetics of the breast tumor. It is the only center in Texas dedicated to the treatment of triple negative breast cancer.
Located at Houston Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Clinic offers:
- A multi-disciplinary medical approach with surgery, radiation oncology, medical oncology, radiology and psychosocial support
- An educational resource where you can learn more about the disease as well as the latest in research and clinical trials
- A one-of-a-kind computer simulation that enables you to visualize the disease and work with your medical team in planning the course of treatment
- Genetic counseling
- Psychosocial support
- Nutritional counseling
- Lymphedema management
- Nurse navigator
- Massage therapy
- “Look Good, Feel Better,” a free program offered in partnership with the American Cancer Society that teaches beauty techniques to women undergoing cancer treatment
- Resource library
Learn more about breast cancer:
- About Breast Cancer
- Preventing Breast Cancer
- Diagnosing Breast Cancer
- Treating Breast Cancer
- Breast Health Resources
- Breast Cancer Clinical Trials
For more information about the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Clinic or to make an appointment,
call us at 713-441-TNBC (8622).