Make an Appointment
Call 713-790-3333 to make an appointment or ask questions.
About 15 percent of couples in the United States face infertility issues. In about half of these cases, male infertility—due to low sperm count, misshapen or immobile sperm, or blockages that prevent delivery of sperm—has been shown to play a role.
Houston Methodist Hospital is one of just a handful of centers in the United States with a national reputation for male reproductive medicine and surgery. Our physicians also work closely with an OB/GYN to ensure a coordinated approach to infertility treatment.
What Causes Male Infertility?
Male infertility can be caused by many different factors, including:
- Sperm that are underdeveloped, abnormally shaped or unable to move properly
- Varicoceles, dilated scrotal veins that hinder sperm development by preventing proper drainage of blood
- Retrograde ejaculation, when the semen pushes backwards into the bladder instead of out through the penis
- Immunologic infertility, when the sperm are attacked by antibodies resulting from an injury, surgery or infection
- Obstruction of the sperm’s normal passage, such as from a prior vasectomy or surgery
- Low levels of testosterone or history of testosterone abuse in the past
- Side effects of certain medications
Learn more about male infertility:
To learn more about male infertility treatments at Houston Methodist or to make an appointment,
please call us at 713-790-3333.