Suyang Hao, MD
Associate Medical Director, Hematopathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Hao received her M.D. degree in 1983 from the Tianjin Medical University in Tianjin, China. She then completed a pathology residency at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas, and a fellowship in hematopathology at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan. She received her first academic appointment in 2001 at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the Department of Hematopathology. She became an assistant professor there in 2002. The following year, Dr. Hao joined the faculty in the Department of Pathology at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester where she became an associate professor in 2008. While there, she was the director of the Flow Cytometry Laboratory and the Hematopathology Fellowship Program. Dr. Hao joined The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization in 2012.
Dr. Hao is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty certification in hematopathology. Her research interests center on the identification and validation of molecular markers for diagnosis, prognosis, and risk stratification.
Representative Recent Publications
- Wang M, Tang D, Shu B, Wang B, Jin H, Hao S, Dresser KA, Shen J, Im HJ, Sampson ER, Rubery PT, Zuscik MJ, Schwarz EM, O'Keefe RJ, Wang Y, Chen D. Conditional activation of b- catenin signaling in mice leads to severe defects of intervertibral disc tissue. Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Aug;64(8):2611-23.
- Ramkumar C, Kong Y, Cui H, Hao S, Jones SN, Gerstein RM, Zhang H. Smurf2 regulates the senescence response and suppresses tumorigenesis in mice. Cancer Res. 2012 Jun 1;72(11):2714-9.
- Hao S, Smith TW, Chu PG, Liu Q, Ok CY, Woda BA, Lu D, Lin P, Wang SA, Dresser K, Rock KL, Jiang Z. The oncofetal protein IMP3: a novel molecular marker to predict aggressive meningioma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Aug;135(8):1032-6.
- Zhang L, Liu Y, Hao S, Woda BA, Lu D. IMP2 expression distinguishes endometrioid from serous endometrial adenocarcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Jun;35(6):868-72.
- Tang G, Wang SA, Menon M, Dresser K, Woda BA, Hao S. High-level CD34 expression on megakaryocytes independently predicts an adverse outcome in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Leuk Res. 2011 Jun;35(6):766-70.
- Tang G, Woods LJ, Wang SA, Brettler D, Andersen M, Miron PM, Pechet L, Woda BA, Hao S. Chronic basophilic leukemia: a rare form of chronic myeloproliferative neoplasm. Hum Pathol. 2009 Aug;40(8):1194-9.
- Wang SA, Tang G, Fadare O, Hao S, Raza A, Woda BA, Hasserjian RP. Erythroid-predominant myelodysplastic syndromes: enumeration of blasts from nonerythroid rather than total marrow cells provides superior risk stratification. Mod Pathol. 2008 Nov;21(11):1394-402.