Dr. Gavin W. Britz is Chairman of the Department. He leads an acclaimed team of neurosurgeons and affiliated professionals and is recognized as one of the nation’s foremost cerebrovascular, skull base and brain tumor surgeons. He has received Best Doctor in America distinction six different years. He is on the advisory boards of the Joe Niekro Foundation and The Brain Aneurysm Foundation and serves on the editorial board for Neurosurgery, World Neurosurgery, International Journal of Vascular Medicine, Surgical Neurology International and Dataset Papers in Medicine. He has authored more than 90 peer reviewed scientific manuscripts and 28 chapters for various neurosurgical books.
Brain Arteriovenous malformations
Moya Moya Disease
Brain and spine Dural fistulas
Brain tumors such as meningioma’s, chordomas, pituitary tumors, craniopharyngiomas, vestibular schwannomas, colloid cysts, gliomas, and glioblastomas
Microvascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm
He runs a laboratory that focuses on the understanding of the cerebral microcirculation, and also is involved including clinical research to evaluate and innovate novel tools to treat brain aneurysms and brain tumors.
MBBCh (MD-equivalent), University of the Witwatersrand School of Medicine, South Africa
Surgical Intern; General Surgery Fellow, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
Resident and Chief Resident, Neurosurgery, University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) Seattle
Neurosurgical Registrar and Senior Registrar, St. George’s Medical School, The University of London, UK
Cerebrovascular Fellow, Neuroradiology Fellow, Interventional Neuroradiology Fellow, (UWMC) Seattle
MPH, Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle
MBA, The George Washington University, Washington D.C. (candidate)
- Ngai AC, Nguyen TS, Meno JR, Britz GW. Post ischemic Augmentation of Conducted Dilatation in Cerebral Arterioles. Stroke. 2007 Jan 38(1):124-30
- Britz GW, Meno JR, Park IS, Abel TJ, Chowdhary A, Nguyen TS, Winn HR, Ngai AC. Time-dependent alterations in functional and pharmacological arteriolar reactivity after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke. 2007 Apr; 38(4):1329-35.
- Park IS, Meno JR, Witt CE, Suttle TK, Chowdhary A, Nguyen TS, Ngai AC, Britz GW. Subarachnoid hemorrhage model in the rat: modification of the endovascular filament model. J Neurosci Houston Methodist . 2008 Jul 30;172(2):195-200
- Powers CJ, Zomorodi AR, Borrel C, Wright D, Britz GW. Transient Adenosine Circulation Arrest for Anterior Circulation Aneurysm. Neurosurgery. 2010 Dec;67(2 Suppl Operative):461-70.
- Guinn NR, McDonagh DL, Borel CO, Wright DR, Zomorodi AR, Powers CJ, Warner DS, Lam, AM, Britz GW. Adenosine-induced transient asystole for intracranial aneurysm surgery: A retrospective review. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2011 Jan;23(1):35-40.
- Golshani K, Ferrell A, Zomorodi A, Smith TP, Britz GW . A review of the management of posterior communicating artery aneurysms in the modern era. Surg Neurol Int. 2010 Dec 22;1:88.
- Lessne ML, Shah P, Alexander MJ, Barnhart HX, Powers C, Golshani K, Ferrell A, Enterline D, Zomorodi A, Smith T, Britz GW. Thromboembolic Complications After Neuroform™ Stent Assisted Treatment of Cerebral Aneurysms: The Duke Cerebrovascular Center Experience in 235 Patients with 274 Stents. Neurosurgery. 2011 Aug;69(2):369-75
- Golshani K, Ferrel A, Lessne M, Shah P, Chowdhary A, Choulakian A, Alexander MJ, Smith TP, Enterline DS, Zomorodi AR, Britz GW. Stent-assisted coil emboilization of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: A retrospective multicenter review. Surg Neurol Int. 2012;3:84
- Ryan RW, Chowdhary A, Britz GW. Hemorrhage and risk of further hemorrhagic strokes following cerebral revascularization in Moyamoya disease: A review of the literature. Surg Neurol Int. 2012;3:72.