about HIV and AIDS
There are many ways to catch the HIV virus. Please read the following list of activities that could expose you to the HIV virus. If you answer "yes" to any of the following statements, YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE BLOOD:
- I am a man who has had sex with another man even one time since 1977.
- I have taken illegal drugs with a needle.
- I have taken clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia.
- I have taken money or drugs for sex since 1977.
- I have had sex within the last 12 months with someone who has been involved in any of the activities listed above.
- I have received blood, for any reason, within the last 12 months.
- I have had or been treated for syphilis or gonorrhea in the last 12 months.
- I have had sex in the past 12 months with someone who has AIDS or who has tested positive for the AIDS virus.
- I have been held in a correctional institution (including jail or prison) for more than 72 hours consecutively within the last 12 months.
In addition, you should not give blood if you have symptoms of AIDS, which include the following:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Fever higher than 100.5 for more than 10 days
- Unexplained sweating, especially at night
- Persistent cough
- Shortness of breath
- swollen lymph nodes lasting more than one month
- White or unusual spots in your mouth that will not go away
- Blue or purple spots on or under the skin or inside the mouth or nose
All donated blood is taken to our laboratory and tested for several infectious diseases. If you donate blood, it will be tested for the following conditions:
- HIV antibodies (HIV-1/HIV-2)
- Hepatitis B virus (Hepatitis B surface antigen, Hepatitis B core antibodies, ALT)
- HIV-1 antigen
- Hepatitis C virus antibodies
- HTLV antibodies (HTLV-1/HTLV-11)
If you have an abnormal test result, your blood may be discarded. Also, if this testing indicates that you should not donate blood or plasma, either temporarily or permanently, because of a risk of transmitting the AIDS virus or other infectious disease, you will be notified and your name will be entered on a confidential list of disqualified donors.
DO NOT DONATE BLOOD TO GET AN AIDS TEST.
If you want an AIDS test, call 1.800.342.AIDS to find a testing location near you.