Eligibility & Application
Core rotations include coronary care unit, medical intensive care unit (ICU), cardiovascular surgery ICU, general surgery ICU, neurosurgery ICU and research/management
Two elective rotations may be selected from, but are not limited to, the following: neonatal ICU, shock and trauma ICU, burn unit, emergency department, endocrinology, renal diseases and academia. Residents may also repeat any rotations in which they have a particular interest.
Formal case, guideline, disease state overview or journal club presentation to the ICU clinical pharmacy staff is a monthly requirement.
- Participate in recruitment of next year's pharmacy practice residents
- Present at the following hospital committee meetings: Medication Usage and Formulary Evaluation, Medication Outcomes Management, and Pharmacy and Therapeutics
- Develop or revise an ICU-related policy and procedure
- PGY-2 residents provide ICU clinical coverage every third weekend with additional responsibilities as part of clinical specialist on-call program beginning in November.
- Residents must work two holidays
- Each resident is expected to plan, design and complete a major research project with the guidance of a preceptor. Results are presented at the Alcalde Southwest Leadership Conference and/or the Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference.
- Each resident is required to complete one continuous quality improvement evaluation on an existing clinical pharmacy program.
ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Society of Critical Care Medicine Meeting, and Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference
Houston Methodist Hospital Pharmacy Residency programs have specific hiring processes and employee requirements.
Apply through PhORCAS and provide all required materials.
The initial interview is conducted via PPS or phone, and secondary interviews take place onsite.
Selection is through the National Matching Services. Once you are matched with Houston Methodist, you will receive an offer letter to sign and return to the respective residency program director.
Drug/Tobacco and Background Screening:
Houston Methodist is committed to improving the health of our patients, employees and community. As a health care provider, it is our responsibility to promote a healthier environment for our employees. Accordingly, effective January 1, 2013, Houston Methodist no longer hires tobacco users. Applicants will be tested for tobacco usage during the post-offer physical and drug screening. If an applicant tests positive for tobacco use, the offer will be rescinded.
Onboarding and Orientation:
Residents new to Houston Methodist will spend their first month getting oriented to the hospital, pharmacy department, computer systems and residency program. If you are not already BLS or ACLS certified, you will complete these certifications during this time. All PGY-2 residents will be asked to provide evidence of successful completion of a PGY-1 program to their residency program director.
You will have 90 days from your start date to become licensed in the state of Texas. It is advised to start the process once you find out you are matched with Houston Methodist Hospital.
Annual Review Process in October:
During this period, you will complete required employee in-services, get your influenza vaccine, perform TB testing and any other pharmacy employee requirements.
For Additional Information
Contact us: 713.790.3333
Outside Houston: 877.790.3627