Eligibility And Application
Thank you for your interest in the General Surgery Residency Program at Houston Methodist.
Residency applications and required documentation must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Applicants must have graduated from medical school within three years of application and meet one of the following criteria:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Graduates of medical schools outside of the U.S. and Canada or graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school who meet the following qualifications:
- Hold a current valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Has a J-1 Visa, or is a U.S. citizen, naturalized U.S. citizen or permanent resident
The documentation listed below must be submitted with the application:
- Official medical school transcript and diploma in original language and in English (copied and notarized, stating that it is a true copy of the original)
- Dean’s letter and three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores (must possess a passing score)
- Valid ECFMG certificate/J-1 visa (if applicable)
Interview Selection Process
- All information must be submitted prior to an application being reviewed.
- Interviews are by invitation only. If you have been selected, we will contact you.
Houston Methodist Hospital
Department of Surgery, Residency Coordinator
6550 Fannin St., Smith Tower 1661
Houston, TX 77030