Eligibility & Application
Criteria for Admission
To be considered for admission to the Houston Methodist Hospital Critical Care Physical Therapy Fellowship applicants must fulfill certain requirements. Qualifications include the following:
- Current licensure in good standing or eligibility for licensure as a physical therapist (PT) in the state of Texas — eligibility for licensure in Texas is required for application, but an active Texas PT license is required prior to the start date
- Minimum of two years of experience in direct patient care in an acute care hospital over the last three years
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification
- Current American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) membership
- Meet criteria for employment at Houston Methodist Hospital
- Demonstrate characteristics as a team player with high standards of professional behavior
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- At least 1,000 hours in the treatment of critically ill adults, acute cardiopulmonary or acute neurological adult patients
- Research participation involving practice in acute care.
- Recent completion of continuing education course(s) dealing with either acute neurological, acute cardiopulmonary or critically ill adults
Application is made through the Residency and Fellowship Physical Therapy Central Application System (RFPTCAS). Applications are accepted throughout the year, but the deadline for submission is August 29 for a January start date. The fellowship program director will review all applications. Those meeting minimum criteria will be forwarded to the application committee for review. The application committee is chaired by the program director and includes one fellowship mentor, the Houston Methodist Hospital Department of Rehab services director, and one ad-hoc member appointed by the program director.
Finalists are provided with a fellowship handbook that includes a sample employment agreement and fellowship policies and procedures. Final applicants will be interviewed prior to final decision. An offer will be made to the accepted applicant no later than November 15 preceding the January start date.
The signed Letter of Agreement and completed application for employment at Houston Methodist Hospital must be returned to Houston Methodist Hospital within 10 days of receipt. The applicant must complete all pre-employment obligations as directed by Houston Methodist Human Resources Department.