Why Choose a Comprehensive Stroke Center
Choosing a hospital with comprehensive stroke certification means patients receive the highest possible level of stroke care.
The Eddy Scurlock Stroke Center at the Houston Methodist Hospital is one of the nation’s first certified comprehensive stroke centers in the United States and the only one in Texas.
This means that in Harris County, where the stroke death rate is twice the national average, patients who receive care at Eddy Scurlock Stroke Center have better outcomes with fewer complications than at other area hospitals. Dr. David Chiu, medical director of the center, helped develop the certification standards now used by accrediting agencies nationwide.
Certified by DNV Healthcare, Inc., one of the leading accrediting agencies for U.S. hospitals, Houston Methodist Hospital has the proven resources, infrastructure, processes and highly trained staff in place to provide the very best in stroke care, including:
- Stroke care specialists include neurologists, neurosurgeons, interventional neuroradiologists, cardiologists, and rehabilitation therapists.
- Expert neuro-critical care available 7days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Use of clot-busting tPA for ischemic stroke treatment at rates higher than the national average.
- State of the art neurovascular and endovascular procedures for repair of aneurysms and other causes of hemorrhagic strokes (brain bleeds).
- Proven protocols for the diagnoses and treatment of the underlying causes of stroke.
- Active participation in multiple clinical research trials to improve and advance stroke treatment.
- Award-winning stroke outreach program, including the annual Stride 4 Stroke, to educate the community on stroke recognition and prevention.