Wayne L. Chandler, M.D.
Vice-Chair, Clinical Innovation
Medical Director, Houston Methodist Diagnostic Laboratories
Medical Director, Coagulation Laboratory
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite B495
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Chandler received his M.D. degree in 1982 from the St. Louis University School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO. He completed a residency in pathology at the University of Washington where he was chief resident in 1985, and received numerous honors including the Young Investigators Award from the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists. Dr. Chandler remained at the University of Washington after training as an assistant professor in the Department of Laboratory Medicine. He was promoted to full professor there in 2001. While at the University of Washington, Dr. Chandler was head of the Clinical Coagulation Division and Transfusion Medicine Laboratories, and director of the Point-of-Care Testing Program. He joined The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization in 2011, and received his faculty appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2012.
Dr. Chandler is a board-certified clinical pathologist with subspecialty interest in coagulation and transfusion medicine. His research interests center on process improvements and outcomes studies for critical testing in the clinical laboratory, especially with regards to transfusion medicine.
Representative Recent Publications
- Wanat MA, Hart SR, Putney D, Liebl MG, Chandler W. Alternative Monitoring of Argatroban Using Plasma-Diluted Thrombin Time (April). Ann Pharmacother. 2013 Mar 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chandler WL. Emergency assessment of hemostasis in the bleeding patient. Int J Lab Hematol. 2013 Mar 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Crookston KP, Sibbitt WL Jr, Chandler WL, Qualls CR, Roldan CA. Circulating microparticles in neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus. Int J Rheum Dis. 2013 Feb;16(1):72-80.
- Chandler WL. Microparticle counts in platelet-rich and platelet-free plasma, effect of centrifugation and sample-processing protocols. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2013 Mar;24(2):125-32.
- Pagano MB, Chandler WL. Bleeding risks and response to therapy in patients with INR higher than 9. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Oct;138(4):546-50.
- Cunningham MT, Olson JD, Chandler WL, Van Cott EM, Eby CS, Teruya J, Hollensead SC, Adcock DM, Allison PM, Kottke-Marchant KK, Smith MD. External quality assurance of fibrinogen assays using normal plasma: results of the 2008 College of American Pathologists proficiency testing program in coagulation. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Jul;136(7):789-95.
- Avecilla ST, Ferrell C, Chandler WL, Reyes M. Plasma-diluted thrombin time to measure dabigatran concentrations during dabigatran etexilate therapy. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Apr;137(4):572-4.
- Tarr PI, Sadler JE, Chandler WL, George JN, Tsai HM. Should all adult patients with diarrhoea-associated HUS receive plasma exchange? Lancet. 2012 Feb 11;379(9815):516
- Bohling SD, Pagano MB, Stitzel MR, Ferrell C, Yeung W, Chandler WL. Comparison of clot-based vs chromogenic factor Xa procoagulant phospholipid activity assays. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Feb;137(2):185-92.
- Sniecinski RM, Chandler WL. Review articles: activation of the hemostatic system during cardiopulmonary bypass. Anesth Analg. 2011 Dec;113(6):1319-33.
- Amukele TK, Baird GS, Chandler WL. Reducing the use of coagulation test panels. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2011 Dec;22(8):688-95.
- Chandler WL, Peerschke EI, Castellone DD, Meijer P; NASCOLA Proficiency Testing Committee. Von Willebrand factor assay proficiency testing. The North American Specialized Coagulation Laboratory Association experience. Am J Clin Pathol. 2011 Jun;135(6):862-9.
- Chandler WL, Yeung W, Tait JF. A new microparticle size calibration standard for use in measuring smaller microparticles using a new flow cytometer. J Thromb Haemost. 2011 Jun;9(6):1216-24.
- Cunningham MT, Olson JD, Chandler WL, Van Cott EM, Eby CS, Teruya J, Hollensead SC, Adcock DM, Allison PM, Kottke-Marchant KK, Smith MD. External quality assurance of antithrombin, protein C, and protein s assays: results of the College of American Pathologists proficiency testing program in thrombophilia. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Feb;135(2):227-32.
- Chandler WL, Ferrell C, Trimble S, Moody S. Development of a rapid emergency hemorrhage panel. Transfusion. 2010 Dec;50(12):2547-52.
- Chandler WL. Procoagulant activity in trauma patients. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Jul;134(1):90-6.
- Amukele TK, Ferrell C, Chandler WL. Comparison of plasma with whole blood prothrombin time and fibrinogen on the same instrument. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Apr;133(4):550-6.
- Hemker HC, De Smedt E, Chandler WL, Roshal M. Thrombin generation and plasma dilution. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Jan;133(1):163
- Eisses MJ, Richards M, Joffe D, Geiduschek JM, Chandler WL. The Response of Hemostatic Marker Levels to Activated Factor VII in a Neonate following Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Case Report Med. 2009;2009:420152.
- Dunbar NM, Chandler WL. Thrombin generation in trauma patients. Transfusion. 2009 Dec;49(12):2652-60.
- Baird GS, Rainey PM, Wener M, Chandler W. Reducing routine ionized calcium measurement. Clin Chem. 2009 Mar;55(3):533-40.