Belén Pascual, Ph.D.
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Nantz National Alzheimer Center
Houston Methodist Neurological Institute
6560 Fannin Street, Suite 802
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Pascual has a broad background in cognitive psychology, neuropsychology and neuroimaging, with specific expertise in the neuropsychological evaluation of patients with dementia. In the context of the Diagnostic Molecular Imaging European network of excellence, funded by the European Union, she used positron emission tomography and MRI to quantify the degree of neuronal loss through different biomarkers. Before joining the Methodist Neurological Institute she worked at the MGH, Harvard Medical School, receiving additional training on the neuropsychological evaluation of patients with frontotemporal dementia and on structural and functional brain imaging techniques.
Her intent at the Nantz National Alzheimer Center is to contribute to clarify important neurobiological aspects of cognition, while using neuropsychological and imaging tools to foster the discovery of more effective treatments for Alzheimer disease and related disorders.
PhD – University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Postdoctoral Fellowship – Centre for Applied Medical Research, CIMA, University of Navarre, Pamplona, Spain
Postdoctoral Fellowship – Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Pascual B, Prieto E. Arbizu J, Marti-Climent J, Peñuelas I, Quincoces G, Pappatsa S, Masdeu JC: Decreased [11C]-Flumazenil Binding in Early Alzheimer Disease. BRAIN 135: 2817-2825, 2012
- Roman GC, Pascual B: Contribution of neuroimaging to the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia. ARCHIVES OF MEDICAL RESEARCH 43: 671-676, 2012
- McGinnis SM, Brickhouse M, Pascual B, Dickerson BC: Age-related changes in the thickness of cortical zones in humans. BRAIN TOPOGRAPHY 24(3-4):279-91, 2011
- Pascual B, Prieto E, Arbizu J, Marti-Climent JM, Olier J, Masdeu JC: Brain glucose metabolism in vascular white matter disease with dementia: Differentiation from Alzheimer disease. STROKE 41: 2898-2893, 2010
- Masdeu JC, Pascual B, Bressi F, Casale M, Prieto E, Arbizu J, Fernández-Seara MA: Ventricular wall granulations may help drain cerebrospinal fluid in hydrocephalus. ARCHIVES OF NEUROLOGY 66(2): 262-267, 2009
- Masdeu JC, Pascual B: Neuroimaging of disorders leading to dementia. CURRENT NEUROLOGY AND NEUROSCIENCE REPORTS 8(6): 443-444, 2008
- Pascual B, Aguado G, Sotillo M, Masdeu JC: Acquisition of mental state language in Spanish children: A longitudinal study of the relationship between the production of mental verbs and linguistic development. DEVELOPMENTAL SCIENCE 11(4): 454-466, 2008
- Pascual B, Aguado G, Sotillo M: Approximation to different theoretical perspectives of “theory of mind”. REVISTA DE LOGOPEDIA, FONIATRÍA Y AUDIOLOGÍA 26:154-165, 2006