An employment and learning opportunity for baccalaureate nursing students.
Houston Methodist Hospital is pleased to offer baccalaureate nursing students the opportunity to enhance their learning and understanding of their chosen profession through an internship in our Houston Methodist Advancement into Professional Practice Program (MAPP). Whether you choose the year round program offered for Houston area students or the summer program specifically for students outside the Houston/Galveston region, you will experience hands-on training while working side by side with lead Registered Nurses in direct patient care.
MAPP is a paid position with students assigned to work in one of Houston Methodist's nursing units such as:
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Operating Room
- Emergency Department
The assimilation into the health care setting will prove invaluable to students as they begin their nursing career. Individuals who successfully complete the MAPP program will be better prepared to meet the demands and challenges facing tomorrow's nurses.
MAPP students are required to work 24 hours a month for the year-round program and 40 hours a week for the summer externship. For participating in the program, student nurses can expect:
- A competitive salary with shift differentials
- Paid orientation
- Housing assistance - for summer program only
- Unlimited voluntary participation in TMH educational opportunities (unpaid)
- Discount tickets to local and regional special events
Upon completion of the MAPP program, student nurses in their last semester of nursing school who have maintained a GPA of 3.2 or higher will have the opportunity to be among the first candidates to interview for a full time, paid position as a TMH nursing resident.
As a part of Houston Methodist's nursing team, MAPP students will also have access to the rich educational opportunities at TMH including:
- On line programs
- Nursing grand rounds
- Continuing education opportunities
- Professional development
- Extended clinical opportunities such as working with nurse practitioners, clinical educators, and members of the interdisciplinary team
- Rotation of up to three units of interest
Applications for the MAPP year round externship are accepted in the fall with an October deadline. Applications for the MAPP summer externship are accepted each spring with a January deadline. Space is limited to the top qualified candidates and is directed toward outstanding individuals who have a passion for administering quality health care. Requirements for consideration include:
- Must be currently enrolled in a nursing baccalaureate program
- Must have and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.2 minimum
- Must have completed one semester in the nursing program, including the fundamentals course work (2 semesters for Summer Externship
- Must be able to work 40 hours a week for summer program
- Must work a minimum of 24 hours a month for year-round program program
- Must hold a current Basic Life Support certification
- Learn more about and find an application download for the MAPP Summer Program and MAPP Year-Round Program.
Applications Must Include:
- Houston Methodist Hospital employment application
- Preference summary sheet
- Interest essay
- Faculty recommendations from two of the candidates clinical instructors
The completed application must be submitted prior to the deadline as publicized online to:
Houston Methodist Hospital
Alicia Hernandez, MSN, RN, BC
Academic Program Leader
6565 Fannin, MGJ 11-002
Houston, TX 77030-2707
Houston Methodist Hospital looks forward to helping you map out your career path. No matter which direction your journey leads you on, we are committed to partnering with you every step of the way.