Applicants seeking admission must submit the following documents:
- Completed application form. Click here to download application or request via mail from:
- Program Director
Medical Laboratory Science Program
The Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin, B154
Houston, Texas 77030-2707
- Program Director
- Official university/college transcripts.
- Final graduation plan that ensures the student a baccalaureate degree upon completion of the 12 month program (applies to 3 + 1 students only).
- Letters of reference and /or the provided form from three faculty members (click here to download form). Referees should submit letters to the Program Office at the above address.
- A 200-300 word statement in the applicant's own handwriting of extra curricular activities, honors, achievements, leadership positions, interests and hobbies, and short and long term career goals.
- A personal interview is initiated by invitation from the Program Director to qualified applicants when the above material is received.
The Admissions Committee composed of the Program Director and Medical Director begins the selection process in the winter prior to the August entry date. The committee uses all of the material provided, including transcripts, letters of reference, interview and handwritten statement when selecting students. In addition, special consideration may be given for relevant work experience. Application deadline is December 1. Students will be selected over the winter and notified by letter of their status for the August class by February 1. Selected applicants will be asked to respond in writing within 4 business days. Unsuccessful applicants may be considered for a later class by petitioning in writing, citing justifiable reasons for further consideration.
Students who have completed part or all of their college coursework outside of the United States must submit their transcripts to an accredited U.S. agency for a course and a grade evaluation.
Suggested agencies are:
- World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, New York 10011
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
Credentials Evaluation Service
P.O. Box 66940
Los Angeles, CA 90066
The evaluation should be requested to be sent directly to The Methodist Hospital Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology Program Office.
Students accepted into the Medical Laboratory Science Program at The Methodist Hospital who feel that they have achieved the objectives for one or more course may receive course credit by achieving a grade of 70 or better on all of the following:
- written examinations
- practical examinations
- evaluation of unknown specimens, where applicable
- clinical evaluation assessment
A student wishing to apply for advanced placement may submit, in writing, his/her request to the Program Director after completing at least one month of the Program. Faculty members will act upon the request and submit their decision, in writing, to the student within three weeks of the request.
The admission committee does not discriminate in its recruiting or selecting procedures because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, veteran status or disability. Applicants with disabilities will be considered; however, all students must be fully capable of completing all aspects of the program. The Program is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
College Credit for Program Completion
For those students enrolled in a 3 + 1 program (degree conferred at the end of 12 month Hospital Program), The Methodist Hospital Medical Laboratory Science Program will supply the student's college/university with an evaluation of grades in each course. However, you must make all arrangements for the acceptance of this evaluation as partial fulfillment of the requirements of a baccalaureate degree.