The Department of Radiation Oncology at Houston Methodist Hospital in Houston features the most advanced technology for the treatment of cancer. Houston Methodist's compassionate and highly skilled cancer treatment team has the experience to provide the best treatment approach for cancer patients. Advanced technology, individualized treatment plans and a multidisciplinary team approach makes the Department of Radiation Oncology the treatment destination of choice for cancer patients and their families.
Our Treatment Technologies include:
TrueBeam – The gold standard in radiation treatment, TrueBeam technology was developed from the ground up to deliver powerful cancer treatments with pinpoint accuracy and precision. TrueBeam opens the door to new possibilities for the treatment of challenging cases.
- Delivers fast, accurate image-guided treatments within just a few minutes per day.
- Delivers treatment more accurately by enabling physicians to “see” the tumor they treat and target tumors with sub-millimeter accuracy.
- Reduces exposure of X-ray doses. Additional imaging functionality provides the opportunity to use 25% less X-ray dose compared to earlier Varian imaging technology.
Novalis – A dedicated, image-guided system for stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic radiotherapy (SRS/SRT) as well as stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT). This technologically advanced approach to SRS/SRT/SBRT is quickly becoming the standard of care for advanced cancer treatment option.
- Shapes precisely the cancer fighting radiation beam around a tumor or lesion, ensuring the maximum prescribed dose of high energy radiation is delivered to the entire tumor or lesion and protects the healthy surrounding tissue.
- Delivers quick treatments in 15 – 20 minutes for a more comfortable treatment experience.
- Offers non-invasive, frameless radiosurgery.
- Offers a more patient friendly treatment experience with a custom fit mask.
TomoTherapy – The TomoTherapy Hi-Art System® is a revolutionary way to treat cancer with radiation. With this system, the radiation therapy team can confirm the location of the patient's tumor before each treatment and then deliver painless and precise radiation therapy based on a carefully customized treatment plan.
- Monitors and modifies the patient’s customized treatment plan throughout the course of treatment.
- Simultaneous treatment of multiple tumors is possible, which means reduced time on the table and greater comfort for patients.
- Offers non-invasive treatments as painless as having a CT scan or an x-ray.
Varian Clinac 21EX – A linear accelerator that offers image guidance, extensive functionality and a full-dose range for IMRT and IGRT applications, including high -dose stereotactic radiosurgery or low-dose therapy.
Varian Clinac 21EX:
- Delivers an accurate, consistent dose.
- Is versatile and easy to adapt to different treatment plans.
- Has a large range of energy configurations.
Phillips CT Simulator – The Philips CT Simulator provides precision and flexibility in scanning and dose delivery.
Varian HDR (High Dose Rate) Afterloader – In HDR brachytherapy, accurate placement and complete control are of utmost importance. The Varian HDR Afterloader's computer-based management system allows for proper placement, replacement and dose control throughout the process.
For more information about our advanced treatment technologies or to schedule an appointment,
please call 713-441-4800.