Methodist Imaging Center - West Houston has a highly advanced ultrasound unit with the ability to perform the whole realm of ultrasound procedures, including non-vascular interventional procedures.
Two of the most commonly used types of ultrasound-based diagnostic medical imaging techniques are:
- Medical sonography (ultrasonography) – Used to visualize muscles, tendons, and many internal organs, their size, structure and any pathological lesions with real time tomographic (cross-sectional) images. The process is also used to visualize a fetus during routine and emergency prenatal care.
- Obstetric sonography – Commonly used during pregnancy, obstetric sonography uses high-frequency sound waves to form an image of a fetus or internal organs. Such usages contribute to it being one of the most widely used diagnostic tools in modern medicine.
Ultrasound imaging is relatively inexpensive and portable, especially when compared with modalities such as MRI and CT. Other types of ultrasound testing include but are not limited to:
- Small parts sonography
- Gynecological sonography
- Endorectal prostate sonography
- Abdominal vascular exams
- Assisting in soft tissue organ biopsies and fine-needle aspirations
- Tissue radio- and cryoablations