- Houston Methodist Hospital participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- All PGY1 positions are offered through the NRMP.
- Applications must be processed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). (Paper applications are not accepted).
- Information on ERAS can be found on the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) website (www.aamc.org).
- "Pre-Match" positions are not offered.
- All applications are carefully reviewed. Selected applicants are notified electronically to interview through ERAS.
- Please limit inquiries into application status.
Beginning January 1, 2013 Houston Methodist no longer will hire employees who use tobacco products. Our new tobacco-free hiring policy supports our mission to improve the health of our patients, our employees and the community around us. As a health care provider, we believe we should promote a healthy environment for our own employees and the communities where we work and live.
Interview Season: October 28, 2013 thru January 22, 2014
Application Deadline: December 1, 2013
Early application is encouraged as the interview slots fill quickly.
TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION (REQUIREMENTS):
- Must complete a common ERAS Application Form.
- Deans letter and at least two (2) other letters of recommendation; preferably, one of the letters should be from the Chairman of the Department of Medicine. All letters of recommendation should be current or within the last 2 years.
- Official medical school transcript.
- Personal statement.
- Must have passed all USMLE's on first attempt. A minimum score of 210 is required.
- Graduation from medical school within the last 5 years.
Additional Requirements for International Medical Graduates (IMG):
- Must be ECFMG certified (except Fifth Pathway graduates).
- Must submit USMLE Step 2 (CK/CS) results by application deadline (December 1).
- Must submit an official English translation for all application materials.
- U.S. Clinical Experience (USCE) is preferred, but not required (Observerships are considered as USCE – no minimum required).
- Must document USCE/Observerships with a letter of recommendation by a supervising physician.
- Only J-1 Visas are offered.
2013-2014 INTERVIEW DATES:
Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2013
Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013
Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2013
SAMPLE INTERVIEW DAY SCHEDULE:
8-8:30 a.m. — Welcome from Program Directors (Continental Breakfast)
In addition to lunch with the residents, applicants who are available the night before also have the opportunity to attend an informal dinner with the residents outside of the hospital.
Q: How long does the interview day last?
A: Our typical interview day is from 7:45am to 1:30pm
Q: Does TMH pay for lodging/travel costs?
A: TMH does not cover applicant lodging or travel expenses.
Q: I am driving my own car to the interview. Where do I park?
A: If you park in the Smith Tower parking garage, your parking will be validated.
Q: Can I change my interview date once I have been scheduled?
A: We would appreciate a 72-hour/3-day in advance notice so that we can make the appropriate schedule changes.
Q: I have a flight departing in the early afternoon. Can I request to interview in the morning so I will be sure to make my flight?
A: It is preferable you allow 2-3 hours to arrive to the airport once your interview day has concluded.
Q: Is there a carpool to the pre-interview dinner?
A: No, but with prior notice we will do our best to make arrangements for one of the residents attending the dinner to help you with the commute.
Q: Will the applicants get to observe hospital rounds during the interview day?
A: Yes, during the tour of the hospital.
Q: How do I contact my interviewers/tour guides after the interview day if I'd like to follow up?
A: All correspondence is to be submitted to Michelle Henderson via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence can also be mailed to the physical address: 6550 Fannin Street, Department of Medicine, Smith Tower 1001, Houston, TX 77030
Q: Do you offer medical clerkships, electives or Observerships for students?
A: Only for medical schools which we are affiliated with (Weill Cornell Medical College, Texas A&M Medical University and University of Texas Medical Branch). Students from other institutions are not currently eligible.