Alberto Ayala, MD
Deputy Chief of Pathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Ayala received his M.D. degree from the University of Nuevo Leon School of Medicine in Monterrey, Mexico in 1960. He completed a residency in pathology at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in 1967, and then attended The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center for a one-year fellowship in the Department of Pathology, after which he was invited to join the faculty. Dr. Ayala moved up through the academic ranks at M.D. Anderson and became a full professor in 1983. He earned numerous awards there, including the Charles A. LeMaistre, M.D. Outstanding Achievement Award in Cancer. Dr. Ayala became the director of surgical pathology and deputy chairman of the department, and later became ad-interim chairman. He joined the Department of Pathology at Houston Methodist Hospital in 2004, and was elected deputy chief. He received his faculty appointment from the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2006. Dr. Ayala received the prestigious Leopold Koss Medal from the International Society of Urological Pathology in 2010.
Dr. Ayala is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty interest in urologic and bone cancers.
Representative Recent Publications
- Raparia K, Molina CP, Quiroga-Garza G, Weilbaecher D, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Inflammatory aortic aneurysm: possible manifestation of IgG4-related sclerosing disease. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6(3):469-75.
- Piña-Oviedo S, Shen SS, Truong LD, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Flat pattern of nephrogenic adenoma: previously unrecognized pattern unveiled using PAX2 and PAX8 immunohistochemistry. Mod Pathol. 2013 Jun;26(6):792-8.
- Shen SS, Truong LD, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Use of frozen section in genitourinary pathology. Pathology. 2012 Aug;44(5):427-33.
- Raparia K, Lin JW, Donovan D, Vrabec JT, Zhai QJ, Ayala AA, Ro JY. Chondroblastoma-like chondroma of soft tissue: report of the first case in the base of skull. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2013 Jun;17(3):298-301.
Dhingra S, Ayala A, Chai H, Moreno V, Zhao B. Renal myopericytoma: case report and review of literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 May;136(5):563-6.
Gomez P, Yorke R, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Solid-pseudopapillary neoplasm of pancreas with long delayed liver metastasis. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Oct;16(5):380-4.
McQuitty E, Ro JY, Truong LD, Shen SS, Zhai Q, Ayala AG. Lymphovascular invasion in micropapillary urothelial carcinoma: a study of 22 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Jun;136(6):635-9.
Quiroga-Garza G, Pina-Oviedo S, Cuevas-Ocampo K, Goldfarb R, Schwartz MR, Ayala AG, Monzon FA. Synchronous clear cell renal cell carcinoma and tubulocystic carcinoma: genetic evidence of independent ontogenesis and implications of chromosomal imbalances in tumor progression. Diagn Pathol. 2012 Feb 27;7(1):21.
Kosarac O, Zhai QJ, Shen S, Takei H, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Minimal or no residual prostatic adenocarcinoma on radical prostatectomy: a 5-year experience with "vanishing carcinoma phenomenon". Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Nov;135(11):1466-70.
- Ge Y, Ro JY, Kim D, Kim CH, Reardon MJ, Blackmon S, Zhai J, Coffey D, Benjamin RS, Ayala AG. Clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical characteristics of adult primary cardiac angiosarcomas: analysis of 10 cases. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2011 Aug;15(4):262-7.
- Kim MJ, Cho KJ, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Chondrosarcoma: with updates on molecular genetics.Sarcoma. 2011;2011:405437.
- Dancer JY, Henry SP, Bondaruk J, Lee S, Ayala AG, de Crombrugghe B, Czerniak B. Expression of master regulatory genes controlling skeletal development in benign cartilage and bone forming tumors. Hum Pathol. 2010 Dec;41(12):1788-93.
- Raparia K, Zhai QJ, Schwartz MR, Shen SS, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Muscularis mucosae versus muscularis propria in gallbladder, cystic duct, and common bile duct: smoothelin and desmin immunohistochemical study. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2010 Dec;14(6):408-12.
- Gardner JM, Khurana H, Leach FS, Ayala AG, Zhai J, Ro JY. Adenocarcinoma in ectopic prostatic tissue at dome of bladder: a case report of a patient with urothelial carcinoma of the bladder and adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Sep;134(9):1271-5.
- Harvey AM, Grice B, Hamilton C, Truong LD, Ro JY, Ayala AG, Zhai QJ. Diagnostic utility of P504S/p63 cocktail, prostate-specific antigen, and prostatic acid phosphatase in verifying prostatic carcinoma involvement in seminal vesicles: a study of 57 cases of radical prostatectomy specimens of pathologic stage pT3b. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Jul;134(7):983-8.
- Kim J, Kumar R, Raymond AK, Ayala AG. Non-epiphyseal chondroblastoma arising in the iliac bone, and complicated by an aneurysmal bone cyst: a case report and review of the literature. Skeletal Radiol. 2010 Jun;39(6):583-7.
- Ge Y, Luna MA, Cowan DF, Truong LD, Ayala AG. Thyrolipoma and thyrolipomatosis: 5 case reports and historical review of the literature. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2009 Dec;13(6):384-9. Review.
- Quiroga-Garza G, Khurana H, Shen S, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Sarcomatoid chromophobe renal cell carcinoma with heterologous sarcomatoid elements. A case report and review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Nov;133(11):1857-60.
- Song JS, Gardner JM, Tarrant WP, Shen S, Ayala AG, Yu E, Ro JY. Dedifferentiated liposarcoma with peculiar meningothelial-like whorling and metaplastic bone formation. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2009 Aug;13(4):278-84. Review.
- Kim HJ, Shen SS, Ayala AG, Ro JY, Truong LD, Alvarez K, Bridge JA, Gatalica Z, Hagenkord JM, Gonzalez-Berjon JM, Monzon FA. Virtual-karyotyping with SNP microarrays in morphologically challenging renal cell neoplasms: a practical and useful diagnostic modality. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009 Sep;33(9):1276-86.
- Suh JH, Oak T, Ro JY, Truong LD, Ayala AG, Shen SS. Clinicopathologic features of renal cell carcinoma in young adults: a comparison study with renal cell carcinoma in older patients. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2009;2(5):489-93.
- Dayton AS, Ro JY, Schwartz MR, Ayala AG, Raymond AK. Raymond's Paragraph System: an alternative format for the organization of gross pathology reports and its implementation in an academic teaching hospital. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Feb;133(2):298-302. Review.