Criteria for Admission:
- Current licensure in good standing or eligibility for licensure as a physical therapist in the state of Texas. Eligibility for licensure in Texas is required for application but an active Texas PT license is required prior to start date.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in direct patient care in an acute care hospital over the most recent past 3 years
- ACLS certification
- Current APTA membership
- Must meet criteria for employment at Houston Methodist Hospital
- Must demonstrate characteristics of a team player with high standards of professional behavior
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A comprehensive review of applicant’s work and educational history and previous contributions to the field of acute care will be conducted. Strong candidates will have demonstrated one or more of the following accomplishments:
- at least 1000 hours in the treatment of critically ill adults, acute cardiopulmonary or acute neurological adult patients
- participation in research project(s) or development of best practices involving treatment of adult acute care patients
- recent completion of continuing education course(s) dealing with one of the following: acute neurological, acute cardiopulmonary, or critically ill adults
The following items must be included in the completed application to be considered for admission to the Program:
- Three references, at least two of which must be from individuals who have worked with the applicant in a clinical environment and can attest to applicant’s patient case load.
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of current Physical Therapy License.
- Copy of APTA membership card.
- Copy of driver’s license
The deadline for application is 10 weeks prior to start date. The Fellowship Program Coordinator will review all applications. Those meeting minimum criteria will be forwarded to the Application Committee for review. The application Committee is chaired by the Program Coordinator and includes one Program Mentor, Director of HMH Dept of Rehab Services, and one ad hoc member appointed by the Program Coordinator. Finalists are provided with a fellowship handbook that includes a sample employment agreement and fellowship policies and procedures, and will be interviewed prior to acceptance. Final determination on admission will be made by the Fellowship Application Committee and the accepted applicant will be notified no later than 5 weeks preceding the start date. The signed Letter of Agreement and completed application for employment at Houston Methodist Hospital must be returned to HMH---within 10 days of receipt. The applicant must complete all pre-employment obligations as directed by Houston Methodist Human Resources department.
Click here to download:
Completed applications should be mailed to:
Judith Ragsdale, PT
Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St, M1-024
Houston, TX 77030