Luan D. Truong, MD
Medical Director, Renal Pathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Truong graduated from the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine in 1979. After completing a pathology residency at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and a renal pathology fellowship at Columbia University in New York, he joined the faculty at Baylor where he would eventually receive full professorships in the Department of Pathology, as well as the Department of Medicine. Dr. Truong joined The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization in 2004, and received his faculty appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2005.
Dr. Truong is board certified in clinical and anatomical pathology by the American Board of Pathology, with subspecialty interest in nephropathology. He divides his professional time among general pathology practice, translational and laboratory research, and teaching. Dr. Truong’s research interests involve surgical pathology and nephropathology. His surgical pathology research uses a morphological approach to define new disease entities, to assess the natural behavior and to improve the diagnostic accuracy of known disease entities. In the area of clinical nephropathology, Dr. Truong is interested in assessing the pathogenesis and natural behavior of several specific renal diseases using a clinicopathologic approach. His experimental research in nephropathology focuses on the pathogenesis of chronic tubulointerstitial injury using the models of chronic obstructive nephropathy and ischemia-reperfusion injury.
Representative Recent Publications
Piña-Oviedo S, Shen SS, Truong LD, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Flat pattern of nephrogenic adenoma: previously unrecognized pattern unveiled using PAX2 and PAX8 immunohistochemistry. Mod Pathol. 2013 Jun;26(6):792-8.
- Liang A, Wang Y, Han G, Truong L, Cheng J. Chronic kidney disease accelerates endothelial barrier dysfunction in a mouse model of an arteriovenous fistula. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013 Jun;304(12):F1413-20.
- Ahmed S, Truong L, Eknoyan G, Workeneh B. Evolving spectrum of HIV-associated nephropathy. Nephron Clin Pract. 2012;121(3-4):c131-5.
Ozcan A, de la Roza G, Ro JY, Shen SS, Truong LD. PAX2 and PAX8 expression in primary and metastatic renal tumors: a comprehensive comparison. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Dec;136(12):1541-51.
Gupta A, Pacha O, Skaria R, Huynh T, Truong L, Abdellatif A. Retroperitoneal sarcoma presenting as acute renal failure, secondary to bilateral renal artery invasion. Clin Nephrol. 2012 Aug;78(2):164-8.
Shen SS, Truong LD, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Use of frozen section in genitourinary pathology. Pathology. 2012 Aug;44(5):427-33.
Harvey AM, Truong LD, Mody DR. Diagnostic Pitfalls of Hashimoto's/Lymphocytic Thyroiditis on Fine-Needle Aspirations and Strategies to Avoid Overdiagnosis. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(4):352-60.
Abdelraouf K, Braggs KH, Yin T, Truong LD, Hu M, Tam VH. Characterization of Polymyxin B-induced Nephrotoxicity: Implications for Dosing Regimen Design. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Sep;56(9):4625-9.
- McQuitty E, Ro JY, Truong LD, Shen SS, Zhai Q, Ayala AG. Lymphovascular invasion in micropapillary urothelial carcinoma: a study of 22 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Jun;136(6):635-9.
- Shen SS, Truong LD, Scarpelli M, Lopez-Beltran A. Role of immunohistochemistry in diagnosing renal neoplasms: when is it really useful? Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Apr;136(4):410-7.
- Ozcan A, Truong LD. PAX2 and PAX8 Expression in the Ovarian Surface Epithelium and Inclusion Cysts. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cantley RL, Kapur U, Truong L, Cimbaluk D, Barkan GA, Wojcik E, Gattuso P. Fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of metastatic urothelial carcinoma: a review. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012 Feb;40(2):173-8.
Ozcan A, Liles N, Coffey D, Shen SS, Truong LD. PAX2 and PAX8 Expression in Primary and Metastatic Müllerian Epithelial Tumors: A Comprehensive Comparison. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Dec;35(12):1837-47.
- Monzon FA, Alvarez K, Peterson L, Truong L, Amato RJ, Hernandez-McClain J, Tannir N, Parwani AV, Jonasch E. Chromosome 14q loss defines a molecular subtype of clear-cell renal cell carcinoma associated with poor prognosis. Mod Pathol. 2011 Nov;24(11):1470-9.
- Wang EH, Truong LD, Mendoza L, Jung ES, Choi YJ. 28S-ribosomal RNA is superior to glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase as a RNA reference gene in p53-deficient mice with unilateral ureteral obstruction. Exp Mol Pathol. 2011 Aug;91(1):368-72.
- Garcia GE, Truong LD, Chen JF, Johnson RJ, Feng L. Adenosine A(2A) receptor activation prevents progressive kidney fibrosis in a model of immune-associated chronic inflammation. Kidney Int. 2011 Aug;80(4):378-88.
- Ozcan A, Shen SS, Hamilton C, Anjana K, Coffey D, Krishnan B, Truong LD. PAX 8 expression in non-neoplastic tissues, primary tumors, and metastatic tumors: a comprehensive immunohistochemical study. Mod Pathol. 2011 Jun;24(6):751-64.
- Truong LD, Gaber L, Eknoyan G. Obstructive uropathy. Contrib Nephrol. 2011;169:311-26.
- Truong LD, Shen SS. Immunohistochemical diagnosis of renal neoplasms. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Jan;135(1):92-109.
- Lewis AL, Truong LD, Cagle P, Qihui Zhai. Benign salivary gland tissue inclusion in a pulmonary hilar lymph node from a patient with invasive well-differentiated adenocarcinoma of the lung: a potential misinterpretation for the staging of carcinoma. Int J Surg Pathol. 2011 Jun;19(3):382-5.
- Cantley RL, Kapur U, Truong L, Cimbaluk D, Barkan GA, Wojcik E, Gattuso P. Fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of metastatic urothelial carcinoma: a review. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 Jan 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ozcan A, Zhai Q, Javed R, Shen SS, Coffey D, Krishnan B, Truong LD. PAX-2 Is a Helpful Marker for Diagnosing Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Comparison With the Renal Cell Carcinoma Marker Antigen and Kidney-Specific Cadherin. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Aug;134(8):1121-9.
- Cheng J, Truong LD, Wu X, Kuhl D, Lang F, Du J. Serum- and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase 1 is upregulated following unilateral ureteral obstruction causing epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Kidney Int. 2010 Oct;78(7):668-78.
- Abdellatif AA, Waris S, Lakhani A, Kadikoy H, Haque W, Truong LD. True vasculitis in lupus nephritis. Clin Nephrol. 2010 Aug;74(2):106-12.
- Elbjeirami WM, Truong LD, Tawil A, Wang W, Dawson S, Lan HY, Zhang P, Garcia GE, Wayne Smith C. Early differential expression of oncostatin M in obstructive nephropathy. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2010 Jul;30(7):513-23.
- Harvey AM, Grice B, Hamilton C, Truong LD, Ro JY, Ayala AG, Zhai QJ. Diagnostic utility of P504S/p63 cocktail, prostate-specific antigen, and prostatic acid phosphatase in verifying prostatic carcinoma involvement in seminal vesicles: a study of 57 cases of radical prostatectomy specimens of pathologic stage pT3b. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Jul;134(7):983-8.
- Yang G, Park S, Cao G, Goltsov A, Ren C, Truong LD, Demayo F, Thompson TC. MMTV promoter-regulated caveolin-1 overexpression yields defective parenchymal epithelia in multiple exocrine organs of transgenic mice. Exp Mol Pathol. 2010 Aug;89(1):9-19.
- Zhai QJ, Ozcan A, Hamilton C, Shen SS, Coffey D, Krishnan B, Truong LD. PAX-2 expression in non-neoplastic, primary neoplastic, and metastatic neoplastic tissue: A comprehensive immunohistochemical study. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2010 Jul;18(4):323-32.