Jae Ro, MD, Ph.D.
Medical Director, Surgical Pathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Ro received his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from Yonsei University in Seoul, Korea, in 1969 and 1974, respectively. After serving as an instructor and assistant professor in the Department of Pathology at Yonsei University, he completed residency programs in anatomical and clinical pathology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Ro became an instructor in the Department of Pathology at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in 1985, and became a full professor there in 1992. He joined the in 2005, and received his faculty appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2006. Dr. Ro is actively involved in the mentoring of residents, fellows, and medical students.
Dr. Ro is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty interest in genitourinary and pulmonary pathology. His main research interests include studies on pathogenesis of genitourinary tumors and lung tumors, as well as prevention and determining prognostic factors.
Representative Recent Publications
Cho YM, Jung SJ, Cho N, Kim MJ, Kattan MW, Yu C, Ahn H, Ro JY; The Genitourinary Pathology Study Group of the Korean Society of Pathologists. Impact of international variation of prostate cancer on a predictive nomogram for biochemical recurrence in clinically localized prostate cancer. World J Urol. 2013 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Raparia K, Molina CP, Quiroga-Garza G, Weilbaecher D, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Inflammatory aortic aneurysm: possible manifestation of IgG4-related sclerosing disease. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6(3):469-75.
- Piña-Oviedo S, Shen SS, Truong LD, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Flat pattern of nephrogenic adenoma: previously unrecognized pattern unveiled using PAX2 and PAX8 immunohistochemistry. Mod Pathol. 2013 Jun;26(6):792-8.
- Crumley S, Ge Y, Zhou H, Shen SS, Ro JY. Interstitial cystitis: another IgG4-related inflammatory disease? Ann Diagn Pathol. 2013 May 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Park S, Ro JY, Lee DH, Choi SY, Koo H. Immunoglobulin G4-associated inflammatory pseudotumor of urinary bladder: a case report. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2013 Feb 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kim NR, Cho HY, Piña-Oviedo S, De La Roza G, Lee YD, Ro JY. Follicular adenoma with extensive extracellular mucin deposition: report on two cases. Clin Med Insights Case Rep. 2012;5:155-62.
Ozcan A, de la Roza G, Ro JY, Shen SS, Truong LD. PAX2 and PAX8 expression in primary and metastatic renal tumors: a comprehensive comparison. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Dec;136(12):1541-51.
Song JS, Song DE, Kim KR, Ro JY. Cellular pseudosarcomatous fibroepithelial stromal polyp of the vagina during pregnancy: a lesion that is overdiagnosed as a malignant tumor. Korean J Pathol. 2012 Oct;46(5):494-8.
Choi E, Lewis AL, Takei H, Ro JY. Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis as initial presentation in adenocarcinoma of lung with signet ring cell features: an autopsy case report. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012;5(9):972-6.
Kim MJ, Shin HC, Shin KC, Ro JY. Best immunohistochemical panel in distinguishing adenocarcinoma from squamous cell carcinoma of lung: tissue microarray assay in resected lung cancer specimens. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2013 Feb;17(1):85-90.
Gulmann C, Paner GP, Parakh RS, Hansel DE, Shen SS, Ro JY, Annaiah C, Lopez-Beltran A, Rao P, Arora K, Cho Y, Herrera-Hernandez L, Alsabeh R, Amin MB.Immunohistochemical profile to distinguish urothelial from squamous differentiation in carcinomas of urothelial tract. Hum Pathol. 2013 Feb;44(2):164-72.
Kim K, Ihm H, Ro JY, Cho YM. High-level expression of stem cell marker CD133 in clear cell renal cell carcinoma with favorable prognosis. Oncol Lett. 2011 Nov;2(6):1095-1100.
Kim K, Ro JY, Kim S, Cho YM. Expression of stem-cell markers OCT-4 and CD133: important prognostic factors in papillary renal cell carcinoma. Hum Pathol. 2012 Dec;43(12):2109-16.
Shen SS, Truong LD, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Use of frozen section in genitourinary pathology. Pathology. 2012 Aug;44(5):427-33.
Kwon BS, Ha CM, Yu S, Lee BC, Ro JY, Hwang S. Microscopic nodes and ducts inside lymphatics and on the surface of internal organs are rich in granulocytes and secretory granules. Cytokine. 2012 Nov;60(2):587-92.
Lee EW, Kim JH, Ahn YH, Seo J, Ko A, Jeong M, Kim SJ, Ro JY, Park KM, Lee HW, Park EJ, Chun KH, Song J. Ubiquitination and degradation of the FADD adaptor protein regulate death receptor-mediated apoptosis and necroptosis. Nat Commun. 2012 Jul 31;3:978.
- Raparia K, Lin JW, Donovan D, Vrabec JT, Zhai QJ, Ayala AA, Ro JY. Chondroblastoma-like chondroma of soft tissue: report of the first case in the base of skull. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Jun 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Son DH, Ro JY, Kang MJ, Jang WY, Cho YM. Histology and distribution of prostatic tissue on prostatic urethral margins: evaluation of radical prostatectomy specimens and implications on frozen section analysis. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Apr;16(2):79-84.
Shin SJ, Kim KR, Song DE, Ro JY, Kong KY, Lee SW, Nam JH. Recognition of parametrial invasion, an important landmark when treating cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2012 Mar;124(3):502-7.
Ko K, Ro JY, Hong EK, Lee S. Micropapillary Lung Cancer with Breast Metastasis Simulating Primary Breast Cancer due to Architectural Distortion on Images. Korean J Radiol. 2012 Mar;13(2):249-53.
Lee H, Jung SY, Ro JY, Kwon Y, Sohn JH, Park IH, Lee KS, Lee S, Kim SW, Kang HS, Ko KL, Ro J. Metaplastic breast cancer: clinicopathological features and its prognosis. J Clin Pathol. 2012 May;65(5):441-6.
Lee H, Choi SK, Ro JY. Overexpression of DJ-1 and HSP90α, and loss of PTEN associated with invasive urothelial carcinoma of urinary bladder: Possible prognostic markers. Oncol Lett. 2012 Mar;3(3):507-512.
Bae YS, Ro JY, Shim HS, Hong SW, Yoon SO. Pulmonary sclerosing haemangioma with metastatic spread to stomach. Histopathology. 2012 Jun;60(7):1162-4.
Jung G, Hwang HS, Jang SJ, Ro JY. Are elastic stain and specialty sign out necessary to evaluate pleural invasion in lung cancers? Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Aug;16(4):250-4.
Guo CC, Shen SS, Si Q, Dancer J, Stanton ML, Tamboli P, Ro JY, Czerniak BA. Necrosis assessment in renal carcinoma - reply. Hum Pathol. 2012 Jan;43(1):151-2.
Divatia M, Kim SA, Ro JY. IgG4-related sclerosing disease, an emerging entity: a review of multi-system disease. Yonsei Med J. 2012 Jan 1;53(1):15-34.
- Kim K, Ihm H, Ro JY, Cho YM. High-level expression of stem cell marker CD133 in clear cell renal cell carcinoma with favorable prognosis. Oncol Lett. 2011 Nov;2(6):1095-1100.
- Zarrin-Khameh N, Haas EM, Ro J, Thrall MJ. Lipomatosis coli, a mimicker of familial polyposis. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2011 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
Kosarac O, Zhai QJ, Shen S, Takei H, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Minimal or no residual prostatic adenocarcinoma on radical prostatectomy: a 5-year experience with "vanishing carcinoma phenomenon". Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Nov;135(11):1466-70.
Kwon GY, Ro JY. Micropapillary variant of urothelial carcinoma. Adv Urol. 2011;2011:217153.
- Si Q, Dancer J, Stanton ML, Tamboli P, Ro JY, Czerniak BA, Shen SS, Guo CC. Small cell carcinoma of the kidney: a clinicopathologic study of 14 cases. Hum Pathol. 2011 Nov;42(11):1792-8.
- Kim HJ, Kim MH, Kwon J, Kim JY, Park K, Ro JY. Proximal-type epithelioid sarcoma of the vulva with INI1 diagnostic utility. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Oct;16(5):411-5.
- You D, Shim M, Jeong IG, Song C, Kim JK, Ro JY, Hong JH, Ahn H, Kim CS. Multilocular cystic renal cell carcinoma: clinicopathological features and preoperative prediction using multiphase computed tomography. BJU Int. 2011 Nov;108(9):1444-9.
- Song C, Kang T, Yoo S, Jeong IG, Ro JY, Hong JH, Kim CS, Ahn H. Tumor volume, surgical margin, and the risk of biochemical recurrence in men with organ-confined prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2011 Jun 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Saloman JL, Niu KY, Ro JY. Activation of peripheral delta-opioid receptors leads to anti-hyperalgesic responses in the masseter muscle of male and female rats. Neuroscience. 2011 Sep 8;190:379-85.
- Gomez P, Yorke R, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Solid-pseudopapillary neoplasm of pancreas with long delayed liver metastasis. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Oct;16(5):380-4 2011 Jun 3.
- Lee EY, Ro JY. The 9th spring seminar of the Korean Pathologists Association of North America. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Jun;135(6):696-7.
- Ge Y, Ro JY, Kim D, Kim CH, Reardon MJ, Blackmon S, Zhai J, Coffey D, Benjamin RS, Ayala AG. Clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical characteristics of adult primary cardiac angiosarcomas: analysis of 10 cases. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2011 Aug;15(4):262-7.
- Kim DY, Kwon EY, Hong GU, Lee YS, Lee SH, Ro JY. Cigarette smoke exacerbates mouse allergic asthma through Smad proteins expressed in mast cells. Respir Res. 2011 Apr 18;12:49.
- Kim DY, Hong GU, Ro JY. Signal pathways in astrocytes activated by cross-talk between of astrocytes and mast cells through CD40-CD40L. J Neuroinflammation. 2011 Mar 16;8:25.
- Kim MJ, Cho KJ, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Chondrosarcoma: with updates on molecular genetics. Sarcoma. 2011;2011:405437.
- Kim SA, Lee SR, Huh J, Shen SS, Ro JY. IgG4-associated inflammatory pseudotumor of ureter: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 3 cases. Hum Pathol. 2011 Aug;42(8):1178-84.
- Jang SJ, Gardner JM, Ro JY. Diagnostic approach and prognostic factors of cancers. Adv Anat Pathol. 2011 Mar;18(2):165-72. Review.
- Niu K, Saloman JL, Zhang Y, Ro JY. Sex differences in the contribution of ATP-sensitive K+ channels in trigeminal ganglia under an acute muscle pain condition. Neuroscience. 2011 Apr 28;180:344-52.
- Nese N, Martignoni G, Fletcher CD, Gupta R, Pan CC, Kim H, Ro JY, Hwang IS, Sato K, Bonetti F, Pea M, Amin MB, Hes O, Svec A, Kida M, Vankalakunti M, Berel D, Rogatko A, Gown AM, Amin MB. Pure epithelioid PEComas (so-called epithelioid angiomyolipoma) of the kidney: A clinicopathologic study of 41 cases: detailed assessment of morphology and risk stratification. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Feb;35(2):161-76.
- Kwon Y, Ro J, Kang HS, Kim SK, Hong EK, Khang SK, Gong G, Ro JY. Clinicopathological parameters and biological markers predicting non-sentinel node metastasis in sentinel node-positive breast cancer patients. Oncol Rep. 2011 Apr;25(4):1063-71.
- Cagle PT, Allen TC, Dacic S, Beasley MB, Borczuk AC, Chirieac LR, Laucirica R, Ro JY, Kerr KM. Revolution in lung cancer: new challenges for the surgical pathologist. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Jan;135(1):110-6. Review.