Andreana L. Rivera, MD
Co-Director, FISH Laboratory
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
Houston Methodist Physician Organization
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Rivera received her medical degree from the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas in 2004. She then completed an anatomic pathology residency at Baylor and fellowships in neuropathology and molecular neuropathology at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. In 2009, Dr. Rivera joined the faculty at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Pathology and Division of Neuropathology. She joined Houston Methodist Physician Organization in 2010.
Dr. Rivera is board certified in anatomic pathology and holds subspecialty certification in neuropathology. Her research is focused on the identification and validation of novel diagnostic and prognostic molecular markers for tumors of the central nervous system.
Representative Recent Publications
- Boots-Sprenger SH, Sijben A, Rijntjes J, Tops BB, Idema AJ, Rivera AL, Bleeker FE, Gijtenbeek AM, Diefes K, Heathcock L, Aldape KD, Jeuken JW, Wesseling P. Significance of complete 1p/19q co-deletion, IDH1 mutation and MGMT promoter methylation in gliomas: use with caution. Mod Pathol. 2013 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Henkel JS, Beers DR, Wen S, Rivera AL, Toennis KM, Appel JE, Zhao W, Moore DH, Powell SZ, Appel SH. Regulatory T-lymphocytes mediate amyotrophic lateral sclerosis progression and survival. EMBO Mol Med. 2013 Jan;5(1):64-79.
- Lassman AB, Iwamoto FM, Cloughesy TF, Aldape KD, Rivera AL, Eichler AF, Louis DN, Paleologos NA, Fisher BJ, Ashby LS, Cairncross JG, Roldán Urgoiti GB, Wen PY, Ligon KL, Schiff D, Robins HI, Rocque BG, Chamberlain MC, Mason WP, Weaver SA, Green RM, Kamar FG, Abrey LE, Deangelis LM, Jhanwar SC, Rosenblum MK, Panageas KS. Response to Weltman and Fleury Malheiros, re Lassman et al. Neuro Oncol. 2012 Jun;14(6):677-678.
- Raghunathan A, Barber SM, Takei H, Moisi MD, Mukherjee AL, Rivera AL, Powell SZ, Trask TW. Primary intracranial sarcomatoid carcinoma arising from a recurrent/residual epidermoid cyst of the cerebellopontine angle: a case report. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Aug;35(8):1238-43.
- Lassman AB, Iwamoto FM, Cloughesy TF, Aldape KD, Rivera AL, Eichler AF, Louis DN, Paleologos NA, Fisher BJ, Ashby LS, Cairncross JG, Roldán GB, Wen PY, Ligon KL, Schiff D, Robins HI, Rocque BG, Chamberlain MC, Mason WP, Weaver SA, Green RM, Kamar FG, Abrey LE, DeAngelis LM, Jhanwar SC, Rosenblum MK, Panageas KS. International retrospective study of over 1000 adults with anaplastic oligodendroglial tumors. Neuro Oncol. 2011 Jun;13(6):649-59.
- Rivera AL, Pelloski CE. Diagnostic and prognostic molecular markers in common adult gliomas. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2010 Jul;10(5):637-49.
- Rivera AL, Takei H, Zhai J, Shen SS, Ro JY, Powell SZ. Useful immunohistochemical markers in differentiating hemangioblastoma versus metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Neuropathology. 2010 Dec;30(6):580-5.
- Rivera AL, Pelloski CE, Gilbert MR, Colman H, De La Cruz C, Sulman EP, Bekele BN, Aldape KD. MGMT promoter methylation is predictive of response to radiotherapy and prognostic in the absence of adjuvant alkylating chemotherapy for glioblastoma. Neuro Oncol. 2010 Feb;12(2):116-21.
- Rivera AL, Pelloski CE, Sulman E, Aldape K. Prognostic and predictive markers in glioma and other neuroepithelial tumors. Curr Probl Cancer. 2008 May-Jun;32(3):97-123.
- Fischer I, de la Cruz C, Rivera AL, Aldape K. Utility of chromogenic in situ hybridization (CISH) for detection of EGFR amplification in glioblastoma: comparison with fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). Diagn Mol Pathol. 2008 Dec;17(4):227-30.