Dina R. Mody, MD
Medical Director, Cytopathology
Director, Cytopathology Fellowship Program
Associate Director, Pathology Residency Program
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Mody graduated from the Seth G.S. Medical College at Bombay University in Bombay, India in 1979. She completed her pathology residency at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and joined the faculty there as an assistant professor in the Department of Pathology. Dr. Mody became a full professor at Baylor in 2000, and held the Ibrahim Ramzy Endowed Chair. She was elected and served as president of the American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) from 2007-08. Dr. Mody has been a member of the executive board of the ASC, and has received the President's Award, Excellence in Education Award, and Papanicolaou Award from that society as well. Her participation with the College of American Pathologists (CAP) has also been extensive; she has served as the chair of the Cytopathology Resource Committee and the Anatomic Pathology Cluster, served on the Council on Scientific Affairs, received the Lansky Award for her leadership in cytopathology, and received the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009.
Dr. Mody is board certified in anatomic and clinical pathology with subspecialty certification in cytopathology. Her special interests are in the areas of cervicovaginal cytology, especially glandular lesions, skeletal cytopathology and quality improvement. In surgical pathology, she is especially interested in GI/liver, gynecologic and skeletal pathology. Her research interests are in the same areas of her special interest.
Representative Recent Publications
Crothers BA, Jones BA, Cahill LA, Moriarty AT, Mody DR, Tench WD, Souers RJ. Quality Improvement Opportunities in Gynecologic Cytologic-Histologic Correlations: Findings From the College of American Pathologists Gynecologic Cytopathology Quality Consensus Conference Working Group 4. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Feb;137(2):199-213.
- Quiroga-Garza G, Zhou H, Mody DR, Schwartz MR, Ge Y. Unexpected High Prevalence of HPV 90 Infection in an Underserved Population: Is It Really a Low-Risk Genotype? Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Feb 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wright AM, Smith D, Dhurandhar B, Fairley T, Scheiber-Pacht M, Chakraborty S, Gorman BK, Mody D, Coffey DM. Digital Slide Imaging in Cervicovaginal Cytology: A Pilot Study. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Sep 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Harvey AM, Truong LD, Mody DR. Diagnostic Pitfalls of Hashimoto's/Lymphocytic Thyroiditis on Fine-Needle Aspirations and Strategies to Avoid Overdiagnosis. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(4):352-60.
- Zhou H, Schwartz MR, Coffey D, Smith D, Mody DR, Ge Y. Should LSIL-H be a distinct cytology category?: A study on the frequency and distribution of 40 human papillomavirus genotypes in 808 women. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 Dec 25;120(6):373-9.
- Gorman BK, Kosarac O, Chakraborty S, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. Comparison of breast carcinoma prognostic/predictive biomarkers on cell blocks obtained by various methods: cellient, formalin and thrombin. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(3):289-96. Epub 2012 Apr 26.
- Ge Y, Mody DR, Smith D, Anton R. p16(INK4a) and ProEx C immunostains facilitate differential diagnosis of hyperchromatic crowded groups in liquid-based Papanicolaou tests with menstrual contamination. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(1):55-61.
- Nakhleh RE, Myer JL, Allen TC, Deyoung BR, Fitzgibbons PL, Funkhouser WK, Mody DR, Lynn A, Fatheree LA, Smith AT, Lal A, Silverman JF. Consensus Statement on Effective Communication of Urgent Diagnoses and Significant, Unexpected Diagnoses in Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology From the College of American Pathologists and Association of Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Feb;136(2):148-54.
- Kosarac O, Takei H, Zhai QJ, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. S100P and XIAP expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: potential novel biomarkers as a diagnostic adjunct to fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta Cytol. 2011;55(2):142-8.
- Mody DR, Nayar R, Thrall M. 2001 Bethesda System classification of glandular lesions on cervical cytology. Monogr Clin Cytol. 2011;20:5-14.
- Stancel GA, Coffey D, Alvarez K, Halks-Miller M, Lal A, Mody D, Koen T, Fairley T, Monzon FA. Identification of tissue of origin in body fluid specimens using a gene expression microarray assay. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 Feb 25;120(1):62-70.
- Harvey AM, Mody DR, Amrikachi M. Disseminated blastomycosis diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 Jun;39(6):446-50.
- Koen TM, Mody DR, Scheiber-Pacht M, Fairley T, Thrall MJ. Limiting the use of atypical/inconclusive as a category in nongynecologic cytology specimens. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Jul;134(7):1016-9.
- Halloush RA, Lavrovskaya E, Mody DR, Lager D, Truong L. Diagnosis and typing of systemic amyloidosis: The role of abdominal fat pad fine needle aspiration biopsy. Cytojournal. 2010 Jan 15;6:24.
- Thrall MJ, Smith DA, Mody DR. Women >or=30 years of age with low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL) have low positivity rates when cotested for high-risk human papillomavirus: should we reconsider HPV triage for LSIL in older women? Diagn Cytopathol. 2010 Jun;38(6):407-12.
- Kosarac O, Carrum G, Mody D, Takei H. Cytologic findings in allogeneic and autologous bone marrow transplant patients with pulmonary symptoms: a 9-year follow-up study. Acta Cytol. 2009 Sep-Oct;53(5):565-70.
- Ge Y, Smith D, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. Image-guided ThinPrep Papanicolaou tests and cotesting with high-risk human papillomavirus in women aged 30 years and older in a low-risk private practice population. Cancer Cytopathol. 2009 Oct 25;117(5):326-32.
- Raparia K, Min SK, Mody DR, Anton R, Amrikachi M. Clinical outcomes for "suspicious" category in thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy: Patient's sex and nodule size are possible predictors of malignancy. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 May;133(5):787-90.
- Halloush RA, Akpolat I, Jim Zhai Q, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. Comparison of ProEx C with p16INK4a and Ki-67 immunohistochemical staining of cell blocks prepared from residual liquid-based cervicovaginal material: a pilot study. Cancer. 2008 Dec 25;114(6):474-80.
- Steinman S, Smith D, Chandler N, Dhurandhar B, Di Filippo L, Scheiber-Pact M, Mody DR. Morphologic, patient and interpreter profiles of high-risk human papillomavirus-positive vs.-negative cases of atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. Acta Cytol. 2008 May-Jun;52(3):279-85.
- Lyons-Boudreaux V, Mody DR, Zhai J, Coffey D. Cytologic malignancy versus benignancy: how useful are the "newer" markers in body fluid cytology? Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008 Jan;132(1):23-8.
- Renshaw AA, Mody DR, Walsh M, Bentz JS, Colgan TJ; Cytopathology Resource Committee, College of American Pathologists. The significance of certification in liquid-based cytology and performance in the college of american pathologists interlaboratory comparison program in cervicovaginal cytopathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006 Sep;130(9):1269-72.