Lillian W. Gaber, MD
Associate Medical Director, Renal Pathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Gaber received her M.D. degree from the Ain Shams University School of Medicine in Cairo, Egypt in 1976. She then completed residencies in anatomical and clinical pathology at the New England Deaconess Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, and a fellowship in perinatal obstetrics and gynecology pathology at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Dr. Gaber joined the faculty at the University of Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee as an assistant professor in the Department of Pathology in 1987. She became a full professor there in 1998. While at the University of Memphis, Dr. Gaber held many leadership positions including director of the Electron Microscopy and Renal Laboratories, director of the General Histology Laboratories, director of the Special Histology Laboratory in the Department of Pathology, and Chief of Clinical Services for the Department of Pathology. Dr. Gaber received her faculty appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2010.
Dr. Gaber is board certified in anatomic pathology with a subspecialty interest in nephropathology. Her research focuses on studying donor kidney biopsies at the cellular and molecular levels to determine suitability for transplantation, changes following organ reperfusion, and the efficacy of immunosuppressive therapies.
Representative Recent Publications
- Knight RJ, Devos JM, Patel SJ, Land G, Moore LW, Gaber L, Gaber AO. Outcomes of living donor renal transplants with a negative cross-match and pretransplant donor-specific antibody. Transplant Proc. 2013 May;45(4):1399-401.
- Knight RJ, Gaber LW, Patel SJ, DeVos JM, Moore LW, Gaber AO. Screening for BK viremia reduces but does not eliminate the risk of BK nephropathy: a single-center retrospective analysis. Transplantation. 2013 Apr 15;95(7):949-54.
- Eison TM, Hastings MC, Moldoveanu Z, Sanders JT, Gaber L, Walker PD, Lau KK, Julian BA, Novak J, Wyatt RJ. Association of IgG co-deposition with serum levels of galactose-deficient IgA1 in pediatric IgA nephropathy. Clin Nephrol. 2012 Dec;78(6):465-9.
Devos JM, Gaber AO, Knight RJ, Land GA, Suki WN, Gaber LW, Patel SJ. Donor-specific HLA-DQ antibodies may contribute to poor graft outcome after renal transplantation. Kidney Int. 2012 Sep;82(5):598-604.
- Hammadah M, Gaber L, Raghavan R. Renal cortical necrosis following a colonoscopy. Clin Nephrol. 2013 Jan;79(1):67-71.
- Drachenberg CB, Torrealba JR, Nankivell BJ, Rangel EB, Bajema IM, Kim DU, Arend L, Bracamonte ER, Bromberg JS, Bruijn JA, Cantarovich D, Chapman JR, Farris AB, Gaber L, Goldberg JC, Haririan A, Honsová E, Iskandar SS, Klassen DK, Kraus E, Lower F, Odorico J, Olson JL, Mittalhenkle A, Munivenkatappa R, Paraskevas S, Papadimitriou JC, Randhawa P, Reinholt FP, Renaudin K, Revelo P, Ruiz P, Samaniego MD, Shapiro R, Stratta RJ, Sutherland DE, Troxell ML, Voska L, Seshan SV, Racusen LC, Bartlett ST. Guidelines for the diagnosis of antibody-mediated rejection in pancreas allografts-updated Banff grading schema. Am J Transplant. 2011 Sep;11(9):1792-802.
Truong LD, Gaber L, Eknoyan G. Obstructive uropathy. Contrib Nephrol. 2011;169:311-26.
- Gaber AO, Knight RJ, Patel S, Gaber LW. A review of the evidence for use of thymoglobulin induction in renal transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2010 Jun;42(5):1395-400.
- Osama Gaber A, Mulgaonkar S, Kahan BD, Steve Woodle E, Alloway R, Bajjoka I, Jensik S, Klintmalm GB, Patton PR, Wiseman A, Lipshutz G, Kupiec-Weglinski J, Gaber LW, Katz E, Irish W, Squiers EC, Hemmerich S. YSPSL (rPSGL-Ig) for improvement of early renal allograft function: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-center Phase IIa study. Clin Transplant. 2011 Jul-Aug;25(4):523-33.
- Patel SJ, Elliott EN, Knight RJ, Gaber LW, Gaber AO. Considerations in sirolimus use in the early and late post-transplant periods. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2009 Jul;8(4):421-34. Review.
- Patel SJ, Duhart BT Jr, Krauss AG, Moore LW, Egidi MF, Amiri HS, Gaber LW, Gaber AO. Risk factors and consequences of delayed graft function in deceased donor renal transplant patients receiving antithymocyte globulin induction. Transplantation. 2008 Jul 27;86(2):313-20.
- Sabek OM, Fraga DW, Henry J, Gaber LW, Kotb M, Gaber AO. Expression of transforming growth factor-beta by human islets: impact on islet viability and function. Cell Transplant. 2007;16(8):775-85.
- Elfar M, Gaber LW, Sabek O, Fischer CP, Gaber AO. The inflammatory cascade in acute pancreatitis: relevance to clinical disease. Surg Clin North Am. 2007 Dec;87(6):1325-40, vii. Review.
- Gaber AO, Shokouh-Amiri H, Nezakatgoo N, Gaber LW, Saharia A, Shimizu A, Mehrazin R, Moore LW. Ipsilateral placement in double-kidney transplantation. Transplantation. 2007 Oct 15;84(7):929-31.
- Granese J, Brightbill K, Osborne P, Cox CE, Gaber LW. Analgesic nephropathy selectively affecting a unilateral non-functioning hypoplastic kidney. Clin Nephrol. 2007 Aug;68(2):115-20.
- Truong LD, Barrios R, Adrogue HE, Gaber LW. Acute antibody-mediated rejection of renal transplant: pathogenetic and diagnostic considerations. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007 Aug;131(8):1200-8. Review.
- Gaber LW. Pancreas allograft biopsies in the management of pancreas transplant recipients: histopathologic review and clinical correlations. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007 Aug;131(8):1192-9. Review.