Ognjen Kosarac, MD
Staff Pathologist, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
Houston Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
16655 South West Freeway
Sugar Land, Texas 77479
Dr. Kosarac received his MD degree in 1987 from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina. He completed his residency training in pathology and fellowships in surgical pathology and cytopathology at Houston Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas. Dr. Kosarac joined Houston Methodist Hospital Physician Organization in 2010.
Dr. Kosarac is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty certification in cytopathology. His research interests include pancreatic adenocarcinoma and potential use of novel biomarkers as a diagnostic adjunct to fine needle aspiration; prognostic/predictive markers for breast carcinoma on cell block sections; endometrial adenocarcinoma in Papanicolaou test and peritoneal washings; and genitourinary pathology with special interest in prostate adenocarcinoma.
Representative Recent Publications
- Gorman BK, Kosarac O, Chakraborty S, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. Comparison of breast carcinoma prognostic/predictive biomarkers on cell blocks obtained by various methods: cellient, formalin and thrombin. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(3):289-96.
- Kosarac O, Zhai QJ, Shen S, Takei H, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Minimal or no residual prostatic adenocarcinoma on radical prostatectomy: a 5-year experience with "vanishing carcinoma phenomenon". Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Nov;135(11):1466-70.
- Kosarac O, Takei H, Zhai QJ, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. S100P and XIAP expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: potential novel biomarkers as a diagnostic adjunct to fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta Cytol. 2011;55(2):142-8.
- Kosarac O, Carrum G, Mody D, Takei H. Cytologic findings in allogeneic and autologous bone marrow transplant patients with pulmonary symptoms: a 9-year follow-up study. Acta Cytol. 2009 Sep-Oct;53(5):565-70.
- Takei H, Kosarac O, Powell SZ. Cytomorphologic features of myxopapillary ependymoma: a review of 13 cases. Acta Cytol. 2009 May-Jun;53(3):297-302.
- Takei H, Kosarac O, Powell SZ. Cytomorphologic manifestations of Alzheimer's disease using brain squash smears: an autopsy study with histology-cytology correlation. Diagn Cytopathol. 2009 Sep;37(9):654-60.
- Kosarac O, Luna MA, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis of the sinonasal tract. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2008 Aug;12(4):267-70.