Gustavo C. Román, M.D.
Jack S. Blanton Distinguished Endowed Chair
Methodist Neurological Institute
6560 Fannin Street, Suite 802
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr Roman specializes in memory problems, Alzheimer’s disease, and other forms of dementia in the elderly including vascular dementia and Lewy body disease. His clinical interests include the evaluation and treatment of patients with Alzheimer disease and normal pressure hydrocephalus with emphasis on the management of brain blood flow problems.
Dr. Román is fluent in English, French and Spanish.
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Behavioral and cognitive neurology
- Dementias, various
- Executive dysfunction
- Frontotemporal dementia
- Lewy body dementia
- Memory Disorders
- Mild cognitive impairment
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Parkinson’s disease dementia
- Post-traumatic cognitive impairment
- Post-traumatic dementia
- Vascular cognitive impairment
- Vascular dementia
- Vascular factors such as hypertension and cerebral blood flow in Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia.
- Epidemiology of Alzheimer disease and other dementias.
- Public health aspects of neurological disorders, particularly neurological care in developing countries.
- Study of environmental factors (such as diet, and natural and man-made pollutants) in the pathogenesis of dementias and other neurological conditions such as autism.
- Environmental neurology.
- Nutritional neurological disorders.
- Sleep in cognition and dementia.
- Tropical Neurology, mainly HTLV-1 and Cysticercosis.
M.D. - Faculty of Medicine, National University, Bogotá, Colombia
Neurology Residency - University of Vermont College of Medicine
EEG&EMG and Neuropathology Fellowship - University of Vermont
- Román GC, Nash DT, Fillit H. Translating current knowledge into dementia prevention. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2012 Oct;26(4):295-9.
- Roman G, Salloway S, Black SE, Royall DR, DeCarli C, Weiner MW, Moline M, Kumar D, Schindler R, Posner H. A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial of Donepezil in Vascular Dementia: Differential Effects by Hippocampal Size. Stroke. 2010 Jun;41(6):1213-21. Epub 2010 Apr 15.
- Román G.C. Autism: Transient in utero hypothyroxinemia related to maternal flavonoid ingestion during pregnancy and to other environmental antithyroid agents. JOURNAL OF THE NEUROLOGICAL SCIENCES Nov 15;262(1-2):15-26.E-publication 2007 Jul 23.
- Román G.C., Kalaria R.: Cholinergic mechanisms in vascular dementia. PROGRESS IN BRAIN RESEARCH 2006 Dec;27(12):1769-85. (Epub 2005 Nov 18)
- Román G.C. Therapeutic strategies for vascular dementia. In: O’Brien J, Ames D, Burns A, editors. DEMENTIA, London: Arnold. Third Edition, 2010.
- Román G.C. Alzheimer’s disease research: Have we forgotten the cerebrovascular circulation? ALZHEIMER DISEASE AND ASSOCIATED DISORDERS Volume 22, Number 1, January–March 2008 pp. 1-3.