Edward A. Graviss, Ph.D., MPH
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
Houston Methodist Hospital
Director, Molecular Tuberculosis Laboratory
Houston Methodist Research Institute
6565 Fannin Street, Suite R6-117
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Graviss received his Ph.D. in Epidemiology from the School of Public Health at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston in 1993. He then joined the VA Medical Center in Houston as an Infectious Disease Epidemiologist, a position he still holds. Dr. Graviss became a Research Instructor of Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in 1994, and was later promoted to dual associate professorships there in the Departments of Pathology and Medicine. He also holds a joint appointment with the Center for Infectious Diseases in the School of Public Health at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Dr. Graviss joined the Center for Molecular and Translational Human Infectious Diseases Research at Houston Methodist Research Institute in 2008.
Dr. Graviss has extensive expertise in the study of the epidemiology and population-based surveillance of a variety of infectious agents including Mycobacterium tuberculosis. His recent studies focus on evaluation of the new Interferon Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs) in the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection.
Representative Recent Publications
Gaber AO, Moore LW, Aloia TA, Suki WN, Jones SL, Graviss EA, Knight RJ, Bass BL. Cross-sectional and Case-Control Analyses of the Association of Kidney Function Staging With Adverse Postoperative Outcomes in General and Vascular Surgery. Ann Surg. 2013 Jul;258(1):169-77. PMID: 23478526
- Feske ML, Teeter LD, Musser JM, Graviss EA. Counting the homeless: a previously incalculable tuberculosis risk and its social determinants. Am J Public Health. 2013 May;103(5):839-48. PMID: 23488504
- Peresi E, Oliveira LR, da Silva WL, da Costa EA, Araujo JP Jr, Ayres JA, Fortes MR, Graviss EA, Pereira AC, Calvi SA. Cytokine Polymorphisms, Their Influence and Levels in Brazilian Patients with Pulmonary Tuberculosis during Antituberculosis Treatment. Tuberc Res Treat. 2013;2013:285094. PMID: 23634300
Escalante P, McKean-Cowdin R, Ramaswamy SV, Williams-Bouyer N, Teeter LD, Jones B, Graviss EA. Can mycobacterial katG genetic changes in isoniazid-resistant tuberculosis influence human disease features? Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]
Nguyen DT, Nguyen HQ, Beasley RP, Ford CE, Hwang LY, Graviss EA. Performance of Clinical Algorithms for Smear-Negative Tuberculosis in HIV-Infected Persons in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Tuberc Res Treat. 2012;2012:360852.
Metcalfe JZ, Cattamanchi A, McCulloch CE, Lew JD, Ha NP, Graviss EA.Test variability of the QuantiFERON-TB gold in-tube assay in clinical practice. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Jan 15;187(2):206-11.
Marquez L, Feske ML, Teeter LD, Musser JM, Graviss EA. Pediatric Tuberculosis: The Litmus Test for Tuberculosis Control. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012 Nov;31(11):1144-7.
Hu Y, Zhao Q, Graviss EA, Jiang W, Yuan Z, Xu B. Use of the T-SPOT.TB assay to screen latent tuberculosis infection among the TB contacts in Shanghai, China. J Infect. 2012 Jul;65(1):39-48.
- Marconescu P, Graviss EA, Musher DM. Rates of killing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by ceftaroline, daptomycin, and telavancin compared to that of vancomycin. Scand J Infect Dis. 2012 Aug;44(8):620-2.
- Li X, Wang H, Jing H, Wang Y, Yu C, Wang J, Liu Z, Graviss EA, Ma X. Population-based surveillance of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in Shandong Province, China [Short communication]. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 May;16(5):612-4.
Jing H, Wang H, Wang Y, Deng Y, Li X, Liu Z, Graviss EA, Ma X. Prevalence of nontuberculous mycobacteria infection, china, 2004-2009. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012 Mar;18(3):527-8.
Fraser TN, Avellaneda AA, Graviss EA, Musher DM. Acute kidney injury associated with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012 May;67(5):1271-7.
Feske ML, Teeter LD, Musser JM, Graviss EA. Including the third dimension: A spatial analysis of TB cases in Houston Harris County.Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011 Dec;91 Suppl 1:S24-33.
Feske ML, Teeter LD, Musser JM, Graviss EA. Giving TB wheels: Public transportation as a risk factor for tuberculosis transmission. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011 Dec;91 Suppl 1:S16-23.
McCall B, Pierce M, Graviss EA, Richards-Kortum R, Tkaczyk T. Toward a low-cost compact array microscopy platform for detection of tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011 Dec;91 Suppl 1:S54-60.
- Nguyen DTM, NQ Hung, LT Giang, NH Dung, NTN Lan, NN Lan, NTB Yen, ND Bang, DV Ngoc, LTT Trinh, RP Beasley, L-Y Hwang, EA Graviss. 2011. Improving the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in HIV-Infected Individuals in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011 Nov;15(11):1528-35.
Feske ML, Medina M, Graviss EA, Lewis DE. IL-7 addition increases spot size and number as measured by T-SPOT.TB (®). Houston Methodist Mol Biol. 2012;792:229-41.
- Kelly JD, Teeter LD, Graviss EA, Tweardy DJ. Intracranial tuberculomas in adults: A report of twelve consecutive patients in Houston, Texas. Scand J Infect Dis. 2011 Oct;43(10):785-91.
- El Sahly H, Teeter LD, Jost KC Jr, Dunbar D, Lew J, Graviss EA. Incidence of Moxifloxacin Resistance in Clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates in Houston, Texas. J Clin Microbiol. 2011 Aug;49(8):2942-5.
- Deng Y, Wang Y, Wang J, Jing H, Yu C, Wang H, Liu Z, Graviss EA, Ma X. Laboratory-based surveillance of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011 Mar;17(3):495-7.
- King KY, Lew JD, Ha NP, Lin JS, Ma X, Graviss EA, Goodell MA. Polymorphic allele of human IRGM1 is associated with susceptibility to tuberculosis in African Americans. PLoS One. 2011 Jan 21;6(1):e16317.
- Zhao J, Wang Y, Wang H, Jiang C, Liu Z, Meng X, Song G, Cheng N, Graviss EA, Ma X. Low agreement between the T-SPOT®.TB assay and the tuberculin skin test among college students in China. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011 Jan;15(1):134-6.
- Serpa JA, Graviss EA, Kass JS, White AC Jr. Neurocysticercosis in Houston, Texas: an update. Medicine (Baltimore). 2011 Jan;90(1):81-6.
- Hu Y, Ma X, Graviss EA, Wang W, Jiang W, Xu B. A major subgroup of Beijing family Mycobacterium tuberculosis is associated with multidrug resistance and increased transmissibility. Epidemiol Infect. 2011 Jan;139(1):130-8.
- Cruz AT, Geltemeyer AM, Starke JR, Flores JA, Graviss EA, Smith KC. Comparing the tuberculin skin test and T-SPOT.TB blood test in children. Pediatrics. 2011 Jan;127(1):e31-8.
- Miller AR, Davis GL, Oden ZM, Razavi MR, Fateh A, Ghazanfari M, Abdolrahimi F, Poorazar S, Sakhaie F, Olsen RJ, Bahrmand AR, Pierce MC, Graviss EA, Richards-Kortum R. Portable, battery-operated, low-cost, bright field and fluorescence microscope. PLoS One. 2010 Aug 4;5(8):e11890.
- Mazurek GH, Jereb J, Vernon A, LoBue P, Goldberg S, Castro K; IGRA Expert Committee (Graviss EA, member); Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Updated guidelines for using Interferon Gamma Release Assays to detect Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection - United States, 2010. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010 Jun 25;59(RR-5):1-25.