April A. Ewton, MD
Associate Medical Director, Hematopathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Ewton obtained her M.D. degree from the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas in 1994. She then completed a pathology residency at Baylor followed by a surgical pathology fellowship at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, and a hematopathology fellowship at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. Dr. Ewton received her appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2007. In addition to her clinical responsibilities, she is also very active in resident education.
Dr. Ewton is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty certification in hematopathology. Her research interests include flow cytometric immunophenotyping of lymphomas.
Representative Recent Publications
- Li MM, Ewton A, Smith JL. Using Cytogenetic Rearrangements for Cancer Prognosis and Treatment (Pharmacogenetics). Curr Genet Med Rep. 2013, in press
- McGowan P, Nelles N, Wimmer J, Williams D, Wen J, Li M, Ewton A, Curry C, Zu Y, Sheehan A, Chang CC. Differentiating Between Burkitt Lymphoma and CD10+ Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma: The Role of Commonly Used Flow Cytometry Cell Markers and the Application of a Multiparameter Scoring System. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Apr;137(4):665-70.
- Curry CV, Ewton AA, Olsen RJ, Logan BR, Preti HA, Liu YC, Perkins SL, Chang CC. Prognostic impact of C-REL expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. J Hematop. 2009 Mar;2(1):20-6.
- Olsen RJ, Dunphy CH, O'Malley DP, Rice L, Ewton AA, Chang CC. The implication of identifying JAK2 ( V617F ) in myeloproliferative neoplasms and myelodysplastic syndromes with bone marrow fibrosis. J Hematop. 2008 Sep;1(2):111-7.
- Ahmed A, Powers MP, Youker KA, Rice L, Ewton A, Dunphy CH, Chang CC. Mast cell burden and reticulin fibrosis in the myeloproliferative neoplasms: a computer-assisted image analysis study. Pathol Res Pract. 2009;205(9):634-8.
- Shahjahan M, Dunphy CH, Ewton A, Zu Y, Monzon FA, Rice L, Chang CC. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase has different degrees of activation in myeloproliferative disorders and myelodysplastic syndromes. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008 Oct;130(4):635-41.
- Jauregui MP, Sanchez SR, Ewton AA, Rice L, Perkins SL, Dunphy CH, Chang CC. The role of beta-catenin in chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Hum Pathol. 2008 Oct;39(10):1454-8.
- Sanchez S, Ewton A. Essential thrombocythemia: a review of diagnostic and pathologic features. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006 Aug;130(8):1144-50. Review.
- Chandra D, Ewton A, Baker K. Hodgkin's disease presenting with osseous involvement. Am J Hematol. 2006 Jul;81(7):550-1.
- Vega F, Chang CC, Schwartz MR, Preti HA, Younes M, Ewton A, Verm R, Jaffe ES. Atypical NK-cell proliferation of the gastrointestinal tract in a patient with antigliadin antibodies but not celiac disease. Am J Surg Pathol. 2006 Apr;30(4):539-44.
- Novoa–Takara L, Perkins SL, Qi D, Shidham VB, Vesole DH, Hariharan S, Luo Y, Ewton A, Chang CC. Histogenetic phenotypes of B cells in posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorders by immunohistochemical analysis correlate with transplant type: solid organ vs hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005 Jan;123(1):104-12.