Dr. Lai is Professor of Neurology and Neuroscience and the Robert W. Hervey Distinguished Endowed Chair for Parkinson’s Disease Research and Treatment at the Houston Methodist Hospital Neurological Institute. He is also the Director of the Neurodegenerative Diseases Clinic. He is a clinician-scientist who has special interests in the causes and treatments of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer's disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and other related disorders.
Dr. Lai has expertise in the assessment of motor function and quality of life. He is the principal investigator or co-investigator of many clinical research studies. He has more than one hundred scientific publications and book chapters, and has lectured widely on topics in neurodegenerative diseases. He has been voted “Best Teacher” by his neurology residents. He also has been recognized as one of American’s Top Physicians, Texas Super Doctors and Houston Super Doc.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Memory disorders
- Movement disorders
- Gait disorders
Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders, Surgical treatments of Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders, Causes and treatments of non-motor dysfunctions in Parkinson’s disease, Treatments of gait disorders, Clinical drug studies for neurodegenerative diseases
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle WA
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Internship in Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Residency in Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Chief Resident in Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology
- Hou JG, Wu LJ, Moore S, Ward C, Atassi F, Fincher L, Nelson N, York M, Sarwar A, Lai EC. Assessment of appropriate medication administration for hospitalized patients with Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism Rel Disorders 2012;18:377-81.
- Bryant MS, Rintala DH, Hou JG, Lai EC, Protas EJ. Effects of levodopa on forward and backward gait patterns in persons with Parkinson's disease. NeuroRehabilitation 2011;29:247-252.
- Follett KA, Weaver FM, Stern M, Hur K, Harris CL, Luo P, Marks WJ, Jr., Rothlind J, Sagher O, Moy C, Pahwa R, Burchiel K, Hogarth P, Lai EC, Duda JE, Holloway K, Samii A, Horn S, Bronstein JM, Stoner G, et al. Pallidal versus subthalamic deep-brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:2077-91.
- Delikanaki-Skaribas E, Trail M, Wong WW, Lai EC. Daily energy expenditure, physical activity, and weight loss in Parkinson's disease patients. Mov Disord. 2009;24:667-71.
- Weaver FM, Follett K, Stern M, Hur K, Harris C, Marks WJ, Jr., Rothlind J, Sagher O, Reda D, Moy CS, Pahwa R, Burchiel K, Hogarth P, Lai EC, Duda JE, Holloway K, Samii A, Horn S, Bronstein J, Stoner G, et al. Bilateral deep brain stimulation vs best medical therapy for patients with advanced Parkinson disease: a randomized controlled trial. Jama. 2009;301:63-73.
- White D, Moore S, Waring S, Cook K, Lai E. Identifying incident cases of parkinsonism among veterans using a tertiary medical center. Mov Disord. 2007;22:915-23.