6550 Fannin Street
Smith Tower Suite 1401
Houston, TX 77030
Education – Mahesh Ramchandani, M.D., F.R.C.S.
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
General Surgery Residency
- St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Thoracic Surgery Residency
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Areas of Excellence
- Minimally Invasive Cardiovascular Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Coronary Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Surgery
- Open and Endovascular Aneurysm Repair
- Off Pump Heart Surgery
- Carotid Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery
Biography – Mahesh Ramchandani, M.D., F.R.C.S.
Dr. Mahesh Ramchandani, a Cardiovascular Surgeon at the Houston Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas received his medical degree from The University of Cambridge, United Kingdom. He completed his General and Cardiothoracic Surgery residency at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in London and subsequently completed his Thoracic Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
Dr. Ramchandani specializes in off pump (beating heart) heart surgery and has achieved superior outcomes through active research and development. His research interests include minimally invasive cardiac surgery, minimally invasive thoracic surgery, and cardiovascular stem cell research. Dr. Ramchandani is one of the leading heart surgeons in the Houston area and his specialties include: minimally invasive cardiac and thoracic surgery, off pump coronary artery bypass (OPCAB), non sternotomy OPCAB, mini mitral surgery, mini aortic valve surgery, and robotics in cardiac and thoracic surgery. He has developed a new Cardiovascular Surgery program at Houston Methodist Hospital, Sugar Land, and performed the first open heart surgery in Fort Bend County, Texas.
Dr. Ramchandani is very active in the community and has numerous professional activities. He is a member the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, the Society of Thoracic Surgery, the Michael E. DeBakey International Surgical Society, the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the American College of Surgeons, the Texas Medical Association the Harris County Medical Association, and served as President of the Indian Doctors Association of Houston from 2000 – 2001.
Publications – Mahesh Ramchandani, M.D., F.R.C.S.
- "The Beneficial Effects of High Thoracic Epidural Anesthesia in Patients Undergoing Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (OPCAB)"-Zbigniew J Wojciechowski, MD:Mahesh Ramchandani, MD: Gerald M. Lawrie, MD-Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas –Presented at American Society of Anesthesiologist San Francisco, California, October 2004.
- "Hybrid Operative Procedures for Complex Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms." Accepted for video presentation at AATS Aortic Symposium, New York, New York on May 7, 2008. Uttam Tripathy, MD, Imran Mohuiddin, M.D., Alan Lumsden, M.D., Michael Reardon M.D., Mahesh Ramchandani, M.D.
- "Surgical Stem Cell Therapy for Advanced Heart Failure Patients" Brian A. Bruckner, M.D.; Ali Ghodsizad, M.D.; Matthias Loebe, M.D.; Erik Beyer, M.D.; Mahesh Ramchandani, M.D.; Arjang Ruhparwar, M.D.; Mattias Karak, M.D.; Elmar R. Burchardt, M.D., Ph.D.; Amit N. Patel, M.D.; Michael Reardon, M.D. Houston Methodist DeBakey Cardiovascular Journal, Vol 5, Number 2, 2009.
- Relation of tissue Doppler-derived myocardial velocities to serum levels and Myocardial gene expression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and inducible nitric oxide synthase in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy having coronary bypass grafting. Zalra DK, Ramchandani M, Zhu X, Lawrie G, Reardon MJ, Mann DL,Zoghbi WA, Naguesh SF. Am J Cardiol. 2002 Oct 1:90(7):708-12.
- Houston Methodist DeBakey Center and Vascular Center Grand Rounds "Bypass Surgery vs. PCI for Chronic Stable Coronary Disease." Neal S. Kleiman, M.D., FACC; Mahesh Ramchandani, M.D., April 30, 2009.