6550 Fannin Street
Smith Tower Suite 1401
Houston, TX 77030
Education – Basel Ramlawi, M.D., M.M.Sc, F.R.C.S.C.
- McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- McMaster University,, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
- Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Columbia University, New York, New York
Areas of Excellence
- Complex Cardiac Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery (Repair and Replacement)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Coronary Artery Surgery (With or without CPB)
- Heart Failure Surgery (Transplantation & Assist Devices)
- English, French, Arabic, Spanish
Biography – Basel Ramlawi, M.D., M.M.Sc, F.R.C.S.C.
Dr. Basel Ramlawi is an attending surgeon within the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantation at The Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center. His areas of clinical interest include minimal access valve surgery, aortic root surgery and heart failure surgery.
Prior to joining the MDHVC, Dr. Ramlawi held a faculty appointment within the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Columbia University and NY-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. He undertook his medical education at McGill and McMaster Universities followed by cardiac surgical training at The University of Western Ontario. He completed an NIH-funded postdoctoral fellowship and earned the MMSc degree from Harvard Medical School. He subsequently completed an advanced clinical fellowship in heart failure and minimally invasive valve surgery at Columbia University.
Dr. Ramlawi is the recipient of prestigious awards such as the American Heart Association Vivien Thomas Award, The American Federation for Medical Research Henry Christian Award and the Detweiler Fellowship from The Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada. He has co-authored over 50 medical and scientific papers, abstracts and book chapters.
He is a fellow or active member of the American Heart Association, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada, International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery and International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation. He is an active speaker at national and international cardiology and cardiovascular surgery conferences.
His research interests include Minimally Invasive Valve Repair Surgery, Stroke Prevention and Neurologic Outcomes in Cardiac Patients, and Ventricular Assist Devices.
Publications – Basel Ramlawi, M.D., M.M.Sc, F.R.C.S.C.
- Ramlawi B, Otu H, Novick RJ, Bianchi C, Sellke FW
Aprotinin Attenuates Genomic Expression Variability Following Cardiac Surgery J Card Surg. 2009 Sep 14.
- Ramlawi B, Otu H, Rudolph JL, Mieno S, Kohane IS, Can H., Libermann TA, Bianchi C, Sellke FW
Genomic Expression Pathways Associated to Brain Injury after Cardiopulmonary Bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007 Oct;134(4):996-1005
- Ramlawi B, Mieno S, Sodha NR, Bianchi C, Clements CT, Feng J, Sellke FW
Oxidative Stress Levels Associated to New Onset Atrial Fibrillation After Cardiac Surgery: A Case-Control Study. Ann Thor Surg Ann. 2007 Oct;84(4):1166-72; discussion 1172-3.
- Ramlawi B, Rudolph JL, Mieno S, Khabbaz K, Sodha NR, Boodhwani M, Levkoff SE, Marcantonio ER, Sellke FW.
Serologic Markers of Brain Injury and Cognitive Function after Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Annals of Surgery 2006 Oct; 244(4):593-601
- Ramlawi B, Feng J, Mieno S, Szabo C, Zsengeller Z, Clements R, Sodha N, Boodhwani M, Bianchi C, Sellke FW.
Indices of Apoptosis Activation after Blood Cardioplegia and Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Circulation. 2006 Jul 4;114(1 Suppl):I257-63.
- Ramlawi B, Rudolph JL, Mieno S, Khabbaz K, Sodha NR, Boodhwani M, Levkoff SE, Marcantonio ER, Sellke FW. Serologic Markers of Brain Injury and Cognitive Function after Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Annals of Surgery 2006 Oct; 244(4):593-601
- Boodhwani M, Cohn WE, Feng J, Ramlawi B, Mieno S, Schwarz A, Sellke FW.
Safety and Efficacy of a Novel Gel for Vascular Occlusion in Off-pump Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005 Dec;80(6):2333-7.
- Ramlawi B, Sellke FW. Vascular Physiology in 8th Edition, Sabiston & Spencer's Surgery of the Chest. Publisher: Saunders
- Ramlawi B, Sellke FW. Biochemical markers in the assessment of post-cardiac surgery brain injury- the impact of inflammation in Brain Protection in Cardiac Surgery: Monographs in Cardiac Surgery. Publisher: Springer – Editors: Bosner RS, Pagano D and Haverich A
- Ramlawi B, Boodhwani M, Sellke FW. Chapter 10: Regulation of Coronary Vascular Tone and Microvascular Physiology in Modern Concepts in Angiogenesis (ISBN: 1860947638). Publisher: Imperial College Press – Editors: M. Simons and G.M. Robanyi (2007)