Roberto Barrios, M.D.
Associate Medical Director, Pulmonary Pathology, Renal Pathology, and Immunohistochemistry Services
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Barrios received his M.D. degree from the Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico in Mexico City. He then completed a pathology residency at the University Hospitals of Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio, and a fellowship at Children´s Hospital and National Heart Institute in Mexico City. Dr. Barrios also completed a pulmonary pathology fellowship at the Lyman Duff Laboratory of McGill University and Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal, Quebec, Canada before returning to the National Heart Institute as a staff pathologist in 1976. He would become chairman of the Department of Pathology there in 1984. Dr. Barrios held faculty appointments at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico and as visiting professor before joining the faculty at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas as associate professor in the Department of Pathology in 1992. Dr. Barrios received his faculty appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2005.
Dr. Barrios is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty interest in pulmonary and renal pathology. His research centers on interstitial lung diseases and pulmonary neoplasms. His experimental pathology projects are related to oncogenesis and oxygen toxicity in experimental models.
Representative Recent Publications
- Ghodsizad A, Fahy BN, Waclawczyk S, Liedtke S, Gonzalez Berjon JM, Barrios R, Mehrabi A, Karck M, Ruhparwar A, Kögler G. Portal application of human unrestricted somatic stem cells to support hepatic regeneration after portal embolization and tumor surgery. ASAIO J. 2012 May-Jun;58(3):255-61.
- Wright AM, Beres SB, Consamus EN, Long SW, Flores AR, Barrios R, Richter GS, Oh SY, Garufi G, Maier H, Drews AL, Stockbauer KE, Cernoch P, Schneewind O, Olsen RJ, Musser JM. Rapidly Progressive, Fatal, Inhalation Anthraxlike Infection in a Human: Case Report, Pathogen Genome Sequencing, Pathology, and Coordinated Response. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Nov;135(11):1447-59.
- Couroucli XI, Liang YH, Jiang W, Wang L, Barrios R, Yang P, Moorthy B. Prenatal administration of the cytochrome P4501A inducer, B-naphthoflavone (BNF), attenuates hyperoxic lung injury in newborn mice: implications for bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in premature infants. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011 Oct15;256(2):83-94.
- Jiang W, Couroucli XI, Wang L, Barrios R, Moorthy B. Augmented oxygen-mediated transciptional activation of cytochrome P450 (CYP)1A expression and increased susceptibilities to hyperoxic lung injury in transgenic mice carrying the human CYP1A1 or mouse 1A2 promoter in vivo. Biochem Res Commun. 2011 Apr1;407(1):79-85.
- Kadikoy H, Paolini M, Achkar K, Suki W, Gaber AO, Anwar N, Jeroudi A, Barrios R, Abdellatif A. Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis in a kidney transplant: a rare complication of sirolimus. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010 Aug;25(8):2795-8.
- Shen J, Barrios RJ, Jaiswal AK. Inactivation of the quinone oxidoreductases NQO1 and NQO2 strongly elevates the incidence and multiplicity of chemically induced skin tumors. Cancer Res. 2010 Feb 1;70(3):1006-14.
- Iskander K, Barrios RJ, Jaiswal AK. NRH:quinone oxidoreductase 2–deficient mice are highly susceptible to radiation–induced B–cell lymphomas. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Mar 1;15(5):1534-42.
- Iskander K, Barrios RJ, Jaiswal AK. Disruption of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 gene in mice leads to radiation–induced myeloproliferative disease. Cancer Res. 2008 Oct 1;68(19):7915-22.
- Matsukura M, Chu FF, Au M, Lu H, Chen J, Rietkerk S, Barrios R, Farley JD, Montaner JS, Montessori VC, Walker DC, Côté HC. Liver ultrastructural morphology and mitochondrial DNA levels in HIV/hepatitis C virus coinfection: no evidence of mitochondrial damage with highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2008 Jun 19;22(10):1226-9.
- Barrios RJ. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: histopathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008 Feb;132(2):199-203.
- Kaplan-Lefko PJ, Sutherland BW, Evangelou AI, Hadsell DL, Barrios RJ, Foster BA, Demayo F, Greenberg NM. Enforced epithelial expression of IGF-1 causes hyperplastic prostate growth while negative selection is requisite for spontaneous metastogenesis. Oncogene. 2008 May 1;27(20):2868-76.
- Adikesavan AK, Barrios R, Jaiswal AK. In vivo role of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 in metabolic activation of mitomycin C and bone marrow cytotoxicity. Cancer Res. 2007 Sep 1;67(17):7966-71.
- Truong LD, Barrios R, Adrogue HE, Gaber LW. Acute antibody-mediated rejection of renal transplant: pathogenetic and diagnostic considerations. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007 Aug;131(8):1200-8. Review.
- Kwon KY, Ro JY, Singhal N, Killen DE, Sienko A, Allen TC, Zander DS, Barrios R, Haque A, Cagle PT. MUC4 expression in non–small cell lung carcinomas: relationship to tumor histology and patient survival. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007 Apr;131(4):593-8.
- Barrios RJ, Kheradmand F, Batts L, Corry DB. Asthma: pathology and pathophysiology. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006 Apr;130(4):447-51.