Eligibility & Application
Eligibility and Application Process
To be considered for the Interventional Cardiology Fellowship, certain requirements must be met:
Completion and pass all three U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) steps (first attempt preferred)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)-board certified in internal medicine and board-eligible in cardiology by completion of cardiology fellowship
- Applicants must be eligible for licensure (Physician in Training or full) in the State of Texas
- A valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate for all foreign medical graduates
- Only J1 visas accepted and the applicant must have at least one year of eligibility remaining by the start of the interventional fellowship
- Completion of three-year Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-approved cardiovascular disease fellowship
- Training is from July 1 through June 30 (no exceptions)
Two fellows are selected from a highly competitive field of applicants for the training program. Fellows are selected from among eligible applicants on the basis of their ability, academic credentials, aptitude, communication skills, intellectual and humanistic qualities, personal attributes (such as motivation and integrity), preparedness, and their ability to benefit from the program. These qualities may be accessed through the review of academic records, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores and other means, including interviews.
Application and Contact Information
Interested applicants who are eligible for training in interventional cardiology can apply through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) Interventional Cardiology Program ID: 1524814171.
Applications will be accepted through January 15. Interviews will be scheduled based on review by the program director and interventional faculty.
If you have additional questions regarding the application process or the program, please contact Melanie Winfield:
Melanie L. Winfield
Sr. Fellowship Coordinator
Houston Methodist Hospital