Building upon its stellar tradition of educational excellence, the MDHVC launched a first-of-its-kind national center for comprehensive education in cardiovascular disease.
The educational activities of the Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center are organized within the DeBakey institute for Cardiovascular Education and Training (DICET). Named after the renowned surgeon Dr. Michael E DeBakey, our goal is to develop the premier cardiovascular training organization in the world. By promoting cardiovascular education, DICET will improve cardiovascular health, reduce global burden of cardiovascular disease and enhance the reputation of the Houston Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center. Located in the heart of the world-renowned Texas Medical Center, DICET offers unparalleled opportunities for visiting professionals.
Mission of DICET
Our mission is to promote training and education around all aspects of cardiovascular disease in Houston, the United States and around the world. These programs are supervised by the education committee, supported by our educational staff and delivered by the course director and faculty.
Audience of DICET MaterialsDICET serves a cross section of vascular and cardiovascular professionals during all phases of their careers, using hands on training to remote electronic educational tools:
- General surgery residents who want to augment and expand their vascular skills;
- Vascular surgery residents who have completed one or two years of training and would like to address specific training deficiencies
- Established surgeons who want to learn new procedures and implement them in their practices
- Cardiologists developing peripheral vascular skills
- Cardiac surgeons developing peripheral vascular skills
- Cardiovascular physicians learning new procedures
- Nurses seeking to enhance their procedural understanding and improve their assistance capabilities
- Physician assistants focused on skill development and enhancing their roles in health care
- Emergency medical technicians involved in emergent care and transportation of patients with life threatening cardiovascular emergencies
- Industry representatives and technical personnel wanting to gain broad-based procedural awareness
- Acute care surgeons who require vascular exposure and training in order to broaden their knowledge and skill base
- 4th year medical students entering cardiovascular residencies
- Administrators and managers who manage cardiovascular practice
- Cardiovascular education for patients and the general public
In order to continue to evolve our training and educational capabilities, financial support is critical. We are developing new training and education models, believe in objective quantitative evaluation of each course and symposium and are actively involved in the research of education. To contribute financial support for the DeBakey Institute for Cardiovascular Education and Training or the Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center, please call the Methodist Hospital Foundation at 832-667-5873.
DeBakey Institute for Cardiovascular Education and Training (DICET)
6550 Fannin Street
Smith Tower Suite 1401
Houston, TX 77030
For additional information about the DeBakey Institute for Cardiovascular Education and Training (DICET), please contact:
Melanie M. Lazarus, MPH
Program Director of Education