Spiritual Care and
Houston Methodist Hospital is associated with the United Methodist Church. While this is our spiritual foundation, non-denominational pastoral and spiritual services are available to all our patients.
Located on the Houston Methodist Hospital campus in Dunn Tower, room 102, the Department of Spiritual Care and Education is staffed by clergy representing many different denominations and is committed to inclusive spiritual care for patients, families and staff, delivered with compassion and respect for human dignity. Consistent with this commitment, our staff chaplains at Houston Methodist Hospital are board certified.
Any time a patient wishes to speak with a chaplain, he or she may call 713.441.2381. After hours, on weekends and on holidays, an on-call chaplain may be paged by calling 713.790.2201.
The Department of Spiritual Care and Education offers clinical pastoral education (CPE) Residency, extended programs and supervisory CPE, all accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
When to Contact a Chaplain
Chaplains provide spiritual care and support to patients, families and staff. Our chaplains are clinically trained to provide ecumenical and interfaith support to all persons.
Chaplains are available to assist with a variety of issues:
- With spiritual and emotional needs
- Help you with difficult feelings
- Connect you with your faith group
- Assist with advance directives
- Worship services
The Wiess Memorial Chapel at Houston Methodist Hospital, located on the first floor of Dunn Tower, is open 24 hours a day for prayer and meditation. Our chaplains are here to provide you with the support and guidance you need. For more information, please call 713.441.2381.
- First Sunday of each month, 10 a.m.: Interdenominational worship service
- Sunday, 11 a.m.: Roman Catholic mass
- Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.: morning prayer service
- Monday, noon: Roman Catholic mass
- Wednesday, noon: Roman Catholic mass
- Thursday, 8:30 a.m.: Holy Communion service
- Friday, noon: Roman Catholic mass
Muslim Prayer Center
The Muslim Prayer Center is located on the first floor of the Fondren-Brown Building and is open 24 hours a day. Prayer timing is posted by the Center doors and is also available on in-room television, channel 5.
Community Care Resources
Interfaith Care Partners® is a nonprofit organization that works with partner congregations to serve their own families and the wider community through their Care Team approach.
- A Care Team® is a group of 12 or more laypeople from a congregation who offer support to individuals and families affected by chronic or terminal illnesses or disabilities.
- Care Team members work in groups, sharing service activities so that no one team member is solely responsible for the level of care that may be required.
- Care Team members provide a range of services:
- Emotional, physical, practical and non-proselytizing spiritual support
- Limited transportation to worship, shop or clinic
- Friendly visits and companionship
- Respite opportunities for caregivers that provide a break without worry
Interfaith Care Partners is located at 701 N Post Oak Rd., Suite 330, Houston, TX, 77024, and can be reached at 713.682.5995.
Giving to Spiritual Care and Education
Our spiritual care team is deeply invested in broadening its mission of spiritual support through innovative ministry strategies involving lay and ordained caregivers. To learn more about how you can make a gift to support this mission, visit the Houston Methodist Hospital Foundation page or call 832.667.5816.
The Department of Spiritual Care and Education office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To contact us, call 713.441.2381. After office hours, call 713.441.2201 and ask for the chaplain on call.